Narrowband

Moon mosaic eight panes with GPCAM

cuivenion

Moon Mosaic taken on 20/04/2016, 98% Illumination at about 1.30am. seeing conditions weren't very good but I am quite happy with how this one's turned out. I used a Altair GPCAM Colour with a Skywatcher 200p. Mount was an AstroEQ driven EQ5.

Processed with PIPP, ASI!2, Registax Wavelets and stitched with Microsoft Ice. I've found I quite enjoy imaging the moon, I should probably start learning what all those craters are called!

Click on the pic for full resolution. :happy11:

Moon Finished.png

Lovely mosaic.  As the illumination changes on the moon it keeps throwing up different features and sights.  There is so much to see.  I also use ICE for my mosaics and find it works really well.  If forced to choose, I think the first version is better - it is very easy to over-sharpen I have found.

Congrats

Steve  

4 hours ago, gnomus said:

Lovely mosaic.  As the illumination changes on the moon it keeps throwing up different features and sights.  There is so much to see.  I also use ICE for my mosaics and find it works really well.  If forced to choose, I think the first version is better - it is very easy to over-sharpen I have found.

Congrats

Steve  

Yeah you may be right on that one. Especially as you zoom in the first one looks more natural. I think getting better detail will be down to better focus and better seeing conditions.

You could try putting v2 on top of v1 as a photoshop layer then dialling back the opacity until you get sharp but still natural.  I almost never have my sharpening layer at 100%.

I don't have photoshop unfortunately, I'm just sticking to the free stuff for now. I was thinking of checking out Startools as that seems pretty reasonably priced. I tried Gimp and just couldn't get on with it. PIPP, ASI2 and the Wavelets section of Registax are very easy to get into.

38 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

I don't have photoshop unfortunately, I'm just sticking to the free stuff for now. I was thinking of checking out Startools as that seems pretty reasonably priced. I tried Gimp and just couldn't get on with it. Same with ImPPG, I just found them very unintuitive to use. PIPP, ASI2 and the Wavelets section of Registax are very easy to get into.

I don't know Gimp - does it do layers?  Photoshop allows you very fine control by using layers and adjusting opacity.  It also has some nice sharpening tools.  I aim to stay the 'natural' side of sharpening with programs like Registax and then do some very fine tuning in Photoshop.  Another good sharpening tool is Lucy Richardson Deconvolution.  I got this with a free program called Astra Image v3.  But I cannot find the download link for it any more.  In any event, I bit and added some of Photoshop's 'fine tuning' to your v1 image.

Moon_myversion8bit.png

Yeah Gimp does do layers but only in 8 Bit, but I didn't like the software. I've tried demo's for other astro software that I like, Astroart for example. The photoshop image is interesting. I may look into the cost of that.

Archived