SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The low down on the down low........ (NGC 281)

Tim

So I was browsing some constellation pictures, and happened to notice a bright blob near Cassiopeia. It turned out to be NGC 281, the Pac Man nebula. I'll have a crack at that, thought I to meself.

Luckily, as we had a mini star party, I linked the dslr to the laptop, to view the pics, something I dont usually do. This nebula was VERY faint, and as the sky wasnt really dark, I could only just about make it out on screen. I suppose the fact that it is so low in the sky at the moment doesnt help much either. At any rate, just using the LCD on the camera I would never have seen it, let alone been able to frame it.

Anyway, the kit did it's bit for just over an hour, the C9.25 at F6.3 taking the snaps, the WO 72 guiding via PHD.

I am pleasantly surprised at the result, but it seems that the lessons given by Rob and Kevin are slowly sinking in, and greater familiarity with the programs is helping.

So here is Pacman, hope you like him.

TJ

Large file here > http://ukastronomers.com/Tim/image/6821_large.jpeg

6820_large.jpeg

PS, isn't it great what's in the sky atm!! So many amazing targets!! Just need a shedload of clear nights!!

Archived