Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using a DSLR without memory card

I was just wondering if it is possible to obtain images without using a memory card in a Canon DSLR. I was thinking that if I connect the camera using live view to a laptop and use a capture software will I be able to produce good images?

That's good as I am thinking of getting a Canon 1100d with a faulty card slot, but in perfect condition otherwise. I am new to AP so am still learning and I am doing it on a shoe string budget.

If you have a mobile device (Samsung, Nexus, etc) running Android you can download a very cheap remote controller (DSLR Controller) app which gives you the option to store onto the device's hard drive.

Here is a list of compatible devices: please note that it does not work on the Amazon Fire device unless you are a bit of a techy and willing to root it: https://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

3 hours ago, D Wright said:

I was just wondering if it is possible to obtain images without using a memory card in a Canon DSLR. I was thinking that if I connect the camera using live view to a laptop and use a capture software will I be able to produce good images?

I am new to AP as well. I shoot with a Canon and recently used BYE which gave me the option to save directly to my laptop.

I have just done a test with my 1100d with DSLR Controller.

Unfortunately there is not an option to store image captures only on the connected storage device(tablet) and with no memory card in the 1100d even with store on camera and storage device selected DSLR Controller would not fire the shutter.

The Canon Utilities software will allow you to take timed exposures and download them to your laptop, and view the LiveView from the camera.

Canon Movie Record allows you to record AVI sequences in full frame or 5X from the LiveView.

I,ve had a 300D, a 1000D, and currently a 450D, none of which had a working card slot.

Michael

I have to update this.

Our 1100d has a menu option of.

Release shutter with no card.

So although not tested it does look like the camera can be overridden if no card to fire the shutter.

I'm sorry I did not find that menu option before.

My Canon 450D has an internal memory which allows me to use it without adding a memory card. Its not a huge internal memory. Canon Movie Record is a really good useful piece of software. The image is crystal clear. It also records directly to the computer HD.

Archived