Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

orion25

Video of Mars near opposition (with original space music)!

Hi, all! I spent some quality time with Mars this past weekend as Syrtis Major was well-placed for imaging. I connected a Shorty Barlow (2X) to my little Orion Electronic Imaging Eyepiece (analogue version) on my Orion StarMax 127 and got a cool video of the red planet. Some atmospheric turbulence got in the way because of the relatively low elevation, but features were clearly detectable as was the stunning red hue. I was so excited, I even composed some space music especially for the event! It's a good thing I chose to image at that time because clouds have rolled in this week (of course) and threaten to block Mars' photons on the night of actual opposition. If possible, though,  I will be out there on May 22 (and on May 30 for the perigee) to shoot some more video! I hope you enjoy my video contribution and the music!

Cheers!

Reggie

• Like 7

Very nice video, well complimented by the music.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice video, well complimented by the music.

Thank you, my friend :icon_biggrin:

I very much like the video AND the music. It's a great combination. 

I saw Mars with my naked eyes yesterday in a light polluted area. It was glowing red! Very nice to look at hehehe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tzitzis said:

I very much like the video AND the music. It's a great combination. 

I saw Mars with my naked eyes yesterday in a light polluted area. It was glowing red! Very nice to look at hehehe

Thanks! From time to time celestial events inspire me to compose. Mars is quite a sight in Scorpius! I pray the clouds will part on opposition night.

That's a superb video of Mars, Reggie, some amazing detail from a modest set up. I reckon if you stacked the frames you would get a very nice image indeed. The music is the icing on the cake.....or should I say the ice on the polar caps! :) 

• Like 1

That was great, thank you, Reggie!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2016 at 18:05, RobertI said:

That's a superb video of Mars, Reggie, some amazing detail from a modest set up. I reckon if you stacked the frames you would get a very nice image indeed. The music is the icing on the cake.....or should I say the ice on the polar caps! :) 

Thanks, Rob! I'll probably get stacking, soon. It's so exciting imaging the planets, especially without expensive equipment. I'm carefully navigating the "slippery slope" of astroimaging, lol.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2016 at 18:39, Ruud said:

That was great, thank you, Reggie!

Thanks for watching, Ruud! I hope you get to see the actual opposition from where you are :happy7:

Reggie

7 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Nice and well complemented by the music.

Thanks, Pete! Those red photons just get to me, lol!

Regards,

Reggie

Good one Reggie - very atmospheric music...err, maybe that's the wrong word for a planet without much atmosphere..! :) - but the title you chose for it could be interpreted to encompass that reality also! :) 

Some quite nice feed actually, it'd be interesting to stack the video & sharpen, Syrtis Major is quite clear & clean for extended periods of the recording & the South Polar Hood well visible at times also! :headbang:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

Good one Reggie - very atmospheric music...err, maybe that's the wrong word for a planet without much atmosphere..! :) - but the title you chose for it could be interpreted to encompass that reality also! :) 

Some quite nice feed actually, it'd be interesting to stack the video & sharpen, Syrtis Major is quite clear & clean for extended periods of the recording & the South Polar Hood well visible at times also! :headbang:

Thanks for watching (and listening)! You're right; there are some periods of clarity that could be stacked. RobertI made a similar suggestion. Thanks for the advice! :hello2:

Clear skies,

Reggie