Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

orion25

Video of Mars near opposition (with original space music)!

Recommended Posts

Hi, all! I spent some quality time with Mars this past weekend as Syrtis Major was well-placed for imaging. I connected a Shorty Barlow (2X) to my little Orion Electronic Imaging Eyepiece (analogue version) on my Orion StarMax 127 and got a cool video of the red planet. Some atmospheric turbulence got in the way because of the relatively low elevation, but features were clearly detectable as was the stunning red hue. I was so excited, I even composed some space music especially for the event! It's a good thing I chose to image at that time because clouds have rolled in this week (of course) and threaten to block Mars' photons on the night of actual opposition. If possible, though,  I will be out there on May 22 (and on May 30 for the perigee) to shoot some more video! I hope you enjoy my video contribution and the music!

Cheers!

Reggie

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice video, well complimented by the music.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice video, well complimented by the music.

Thank you, my friend :icon_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very much like the video AND the music. It's a great combination. 

I saw Mars with my naked eyes yesterday in a light polluted area. It was glowing red! Very nice to look at hehehe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tzitzis said:

I very much like the video AND the music. It's a great combination. 

I saw Mars with my naked eyes yesterday in a light polluted area. It was glowing red! Very nice to look at hehehe

Thanks! From time to time celestial events inspire me to compose. Mars is quite a sight in Scorpius! I pray the clouds will part on opposition night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a superb video of Mars, Reggie, some amazing detail from a modest set up. I reckon if you stacked the frames you would get a very nice image indeed. The music is the icing on the cake.....or should I say the ice on the polar caps! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was great, thank you, Reggie!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2016 at 18:05, RobertI said:

That's a superb video of Mars, Reggie, some amazing detail from a modest set up. I reckon if you stacked the frames you would get a very nice image indeed. The music is the icing on the cake.....or should I say the ice on the polar caps! :) 

Thanks, Rob! I'll probably get stacking, soon. It's so exciting imaging the planets, especially without expensive equipment. I'm carefully navigating the "slippery slope" of astroimaging, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2016 at 18:39, Ruud said:

That was great, thank you, Reggie!

Thanks for watching, Ruud! I hope you get to see the actual opposition from where you are :happy7:

Reggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bunnygod1 said:

Nice and well complemented by the music.

Thanks, Pete! Those red photons just get to me, lol!

Regards,

Reggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good one Reggie - very atmospheric music...err, maybe that's the wrong word for a planet without much atmosphere..! :) - but the title you chose for it could be interpreted to encompass that reality also! :) 

Some quite nice feed actually, it'd be interesting to stack the video & sharpen, Syrtis Major is quite clear & clean for extended periods of the recording & the South Polar Hood well visible at times also! :headbang:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

Good one Reggie - very atmospheric music...err, maybe that's the wrong word for a planet without much atmosphere..! :) - but the title you chose for it could be interpreted to encompass that reality also! :) 

Some quite nice feed actually, it'd be interesting to stack the video & sharpen, Syrtis Major is quite clear & clean for extended periods of the recording & the South Polar Hood well visible at times also! :headbang:

Thanks for watching (and listening)! You're right; there are some periods of clarity that could be stacked. RobertI made a similar suggestion. Thanks for the advice! :hello2:

Clear skies,

Reggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.