Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dejected

On 18/05/2016 at 14:42, LukeSkywatcher said:

In answer to your question:

"How many people on here were disappointed to what you can actually see with a telescope ? ".

I'd happily guess at a 100% record. On the 1st viewing,obviously.

And I'm pleased to say that your guess would be slightly off!

I first was, and still am, amazed (and I think I've said it before! :D ) at what I can see with a few pieces of glass and a mirror (none of which, in my case, have cost me either arm or leg) from the bottom of my garden. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that my first viewing session with a 90mm refractor was great and certainly wasn't disappointed, however I remember thinking that as I looked at Jupiter I might become somewhat bored at looking at the same few targets. I did try for some DSO's but just didn't have any luck. In the end I pretty much gave up for a few months and couldn't be bothered with it. However I recently decided to go the other way and invest in a big reflector. I'm not sure if this was a desire for astronomy, or rather the researching and buying of the equipment. I knew it would give me a better chance of finding these elusive objects. Although I haven't had much luck so far, I hold out hope for the darker nights and for when I get a Telrad. My other obsession is surfing, so maybe I just seem to like to indulge in things that mean I am never in the house with the wife?!

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 21:17, John said:

I actually had the opposite experience when I started out 35+ years ago with a 60mm refractor on a wobbly tripod. I was amazed at the detail I could see on the Moon, amazed that Saturn looked like it had a gramophone record going around it, amazed that I could see faint markings on Jupiter and Mars, split double stars and even find my 1st ever galaxies, Messier 81 and 82 from which light had travelled for millions of years to come down my little scope.

Back then I didn't have glossy magazines or the interweb but I did have "The Observers Book of Astronomy" to guide me. My views were not as good as the illustrations in that wonderful little book but they were enough to get me hooked.

My advice would be to forget the images you have seen elsewhere and just work at getting your scope to show you something and use low magnifications until you are used to finding things in the sky with it. You might be surprised what your scope can actually do, if you give it another chance :icon_biggrin:

Exactly what I was going to say. I spent hours looking at the moon with my cheap 60mm frac, that gave you x25, x50 or x75 with it's built in eyepiece. When I could see Saturn looked rugby ball shaped rather than just a point of light I was amazed. I didn't have access to loads of books or mags, just the Observers Book of Astronomy and an old encyclopedia.  It's easy to see why expectations are might higher these days as most people's starting point are all the incredible images.  Once you get over this it is very addictive, looking at faint smudges in the sky that you have to nudge your scope to be sure they are there!

My first views of galaxies and clusters were no more than disappointing fuzzy blobs, but when conditions are right and those blobs are magnified up, they are stunning - globular clusters in particular.  Galaxies might not reveal much detail, but seeing the things at all is a hell of an experience, especially in pairs (M81/82; M65/66).

In this hobby, patience is certainly rewarded!

Doug.

14 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I did say on the 1st night of observing. We all have teething problems. I doubt very much if anyone owning a scope for the 1st time went outside and pointed it upwards and had amazing views.

Yep, I got the 1st night observing bit.

I'm sorry, but I still beg to differ.

I can remember my first ever session.  It was with my brother, we were  both teenagers. We borrowed a frac from Cardiff Astronomical Society. Fumbled terribly with it, but still came away with the "wow" and "awesome" moment that has maintained my interest all these years. :)

On 20 May 2016 at 21:35, Jimtheslim said:

I would say that my first viewing session with a 90mm refractor was great and certainly wasn't disappointed, however I remember thinking that as I looked at Jupiter I might become somewhat bored at looking at the same few targets. I did try for some DSO's but just didn't have any luck. In the end I pretty much gave up for a few months and couldn't be bothered with it. However I recently decided to go the other way and invest in a big reflector. I'm not sure if this was a desire for astronomy, or rather the researching and buying of the equipment. I knew it would give me a better chance of finding these elusive objects. Although I haven't had much luck so far, I hold out hope for the darker nights and for when I get a Telrad. My other obsession is surfing, so maybe I just seem to like to indulge in things that mean I am never in the house with the wife?!

If you treat astro like surfing, you won't go far wrong.

In that I mean that you obviously appreciate that to surf one needs the sea, i.e. you need to travel to where the surf is. Astronomy is the same, for the best results you want to get to the very darkest skies. The more effort you put in to getting to those darks skies, the more rewarded your efforts will be.

It can also be very reliant on conditions even when you are at the right place. Just like the sea can be like a mill pond, dark skies can be hazy, but on those occasions when it all comes together............:headbang: it doesn't get any better than that :) 

Have fun out there 

Your 'glass' is full of Hubble and magazine images, well 'empty' that 'glass' right now! You will not likely see anything like that in even the biggest amateur telescopes.  That's not to say that viewing objects (even in small scopes) are not thrilling, because they are, as just the ramifications of exactly what you are viewing is thrilling. Also there are indeed many beautiful sights to see, but it takes patience and skill to see them. Just as I would not expect you to make a 30 plus break in Snooker having only just picked up a cue for the first time. Likely early candidates for beauty are the Moon of course as well as Saturn and even the Orion Nebula (M42). If you are not thrilled by these 3 objects through your telescope then maybe it is as others suggest (especially having read your earlier thread) that astronomy is just not for you?

My first views of the moon when I was was a kid with an old 40x 40mm scope (non achromat, a chromat?) which I thought were great, then much later a much better 60mm refractor provided my first view of Saturn and to say I was stunned was an understatement, to see a planet close to a billion miles away with such clarity and beauty from my backyard with such a modest instrument..

Tony.

There is absolutely no reason, like any other activity, to expect that astronomy should have an impact on everybody.  I remember in detail when I first viewed the Moon, my first light through my first telescope, as as 10 year old boy. I was hooked and remain so, I've never been disappointed looking at the night sky through the telescope. I'm lucky in that my youngest daughter shares the wonder but my wife I think humours me and thankfully keeps my feet grounded when it comes to spending money!  If, like the OP, you've tried astronomy and don't get it then don't beat yourself up, plenty of other activities out there to waste time and money on. If like many of us here you do get hooked, enjoy it, celebrate it, but be sensible and realistic with how you spend your money!

Jim

I have to be honest the original poster here has not replied to any comment at all so far. Is it worth continuing ?

Shame to lose a potential astronomer!

I would have thought that any reply was better than nothing at all.

Derek

On 5/20/2016 at 20:29, LukeSkywatcher said:

I did say on the 1st night of observing. We all have teething problems. I doubt very much if anyone owning a scope for the 1st time went outside and pointed it upwards and had amazing views.

Nope. first night I was hooked

Having dug into this further, I also think we won't be hearing back from the OP (at least not for a while).  Apparently he received a UK Hobby store 'telescope' which has a 50mm plastic OG.  Ironic really that this will likely contribute to him getting disillusioned with it, that and unrealistic expectations.  Shame really.

And yes I also was hooked from the first time.

Tony.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

I got hooked after I swapped a 'scope on an eq mount for one on an alt- az! 

Doug.

I was hooked even with the EQ, I just started to enjoy it so much more when Iv swapped it for a dob :)

Don't take me wrong, but that thing is a piece of junk.  Please don't even give it away as some poor sap will likely have the same experience and give up on astronomy as a consequence.

Seriously, if you have any interest whatsoever to look at something in the night sky...  Buy (or find in a library) a book first like The Backyard Astronomer's Guide and read first on the subject and the equipment required.  You mentioned you have binoculars, use those for the time being to learn your way around.

Dave,  a Barlow is an a type of eyepiece that reduces the focal length of the setup - in effect it increases the magnification when used in conjunction with another eyepiece.  Scopes like the one you have often come with some basic eyepieces and may include a Barlow. To be honest though, with your telescope, you would be best using the lowest power eyepiece you have. As for suitable targets to look at, I think you would be best limited to the Moon.  You may benefit from using the scope in the daytime first to get used to it - try focusing on a distant object, tree, building etc.  As folk have commented on above though, that type of telescope will only ever offer a very limited use, it's really intended as a starter scope for a child, type of thing that started many of us here as a Christmas gift.

Jim

11 hours ago, davebird2003 said:

Whatever is a Barlow you guys are on about ? , I have included a pic of my scope with this message!

telescope 001.JPG

Hi Dave, I understand that scope was a present? Well I appreciate that and none of us wants to 'look a gift horse in the mouth' but with all due respect that 'scope' is more likely to ruin a burgeoning interest in astronomy. At most you are likely to get ok views of the moon, but not much else. If you have a pair of binoculars, they would be better to start with finding your way around the sky and stoking your interest that way. If you are still interested in the near future, for a relatively modest sum you can purchase a proper telescope which will give closer to what you want, ie more impressive views..

Plenty of people here will guide you if you wish...

Tony.

Archived