sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Close-up ingress of Mercury in h-alpha

Yesterday I scanned the two remaining sketches of the Mercury transit. These are from the ingress of Mercury as seen through my 60mm "Solarex" h-alpha telescope. The images are kept mirror reversed so they represent the view through the eyepieces. A funny thing I observed during ingress was the silhouet of the inky black dot of Mercury against what I would normally call "black space" next to the prominence. It might habe been some visual mindtrick, an illusion (I didn't noticed it untill Mercury already made a very big dent), but I really thought I could see the dot as a whole in front of a dim reddish background hue. Maybe some faint halo of the prominence, or even of the chromosphere?

Anyway, the view was stunning! Mercury was a lot bigger than I had expected. Before the ingress I was was waiting for just a tiny speck to enter the solar disk, but when a clearly defined round dent appeared, I couldn't supress a "yes, yes, yes, yes"! Although a lot smaller, it reminded me of the Venus transit a bit more than I expected.

Sketches are made behind the eyepiece with a white pastel pencil and a black pen on black paper. Color is digitally added by changing the color balance of the sketch. No further alterations

Schets_Mercuriusovergang_intrede_800px.jpg.

Edited by Roel
  • Like 7