sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Gamma Cygni Ha update - now 6 panes (Star71)

Right, I've a feeling this this may be all for a few weeks since astronomical darkness is all but finished for this year and with the Moon now in force its getting more difficult to stitch it all together without problems in background levels. So by the time the Moon slings its hook its almost going to be the solstice - so it may be just a case of topping up a couple of panes rather than adding new ones.

Now up to six panes, and just about managed to squeeze in the Crescent. The bottom right is a little weak since that only got 1 1/4hrs worth of exposure before my cutoff time of 3am (was getting really tired!). Feeling a bit zombified today, but just about awake enough to stick it through a bit of processing :)  I could probably have paid a little more attention to fine detail, but I'll save that until I get a set of data with the requried depth.

So, here it is... 6 panes @ 8x900s (barring the bottom right wich just has 5x900).

Star71, NEQ6, Atik 383L+

Thanks for looking! :)

26931045612_273eaa2bd4_k.jpg

Fullsize here: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7517/26931045612_8727b2b349_o.jpg

• Like 29
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right, I've a feeling this this may be all for a few weeks since astronomical darkness is all but finished for this year and with the Moon now in force its getting more difficult to stitch it all toge

lol.... just checked my Flickr account and overnight the image has sort-of exploded (in Explore), its only the 2nd time ive gotten into that group.... very unexpected! In light of that, I may jus

Thanks Matt! My mosaic planning is done with the Stellarium oculars plugin - that gives me a framed view of the FOV for my camera and telescope. I then choose a bright(ish) star about 20% from th

Posted Images

This is developing beautifully Rob. The question is how many panes will be enough?! I think it could go on for quite a few more if you're not careful!

Isn't it depressing that astronomical darkness is about to vanish for a couple of months........ :ohmy::hmh:

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

This is developing beautifully Rob. The question is how many panes will be enough?! I think it could go on for quite a few more if you're not careful!

Isn't it depressing that astronomical darkness is about to vanish for a couple of months........ :ohmy::hmh:

Well, if I want the tulip thats going to be another 8 if I want it framed properly! Its possible to do it this year, but not this side of the solstice :)  and processing something that large would be a bit of a mare since Ps is already dragging its feet on this version... ie: click "local contrast", then go make a cuppa! Maybe its time for a new PC at some point, something fast with shedloads of memory - but NOT Win10 :D  (or 8 for that matter!)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Well, if I want the tulip thats going to be another 8 if I want it framed properly! Its possible to do it this year, but not this side of the solstice :)  and processing something that large would be a bit of a mare since Ps is already dragging its feet on this version... ie: click "local contrast", then go make a cuppa! Maybe its time for a new PC at some point, something fast with shedloads of memory - but NOT Win10 :D  (or 8 for that matter!)

Hah, quite, it could stretch on for many many light years! As for a powerful PC, eventually you will see that a Mac is the way forwards for processing!!!

Nahhh... cant be doing with a Mac my friend! As I like to do a little online zombie slaying (left4dead 2) or LoL while waiting for the subs to come in :)

Its usually alright with just one or two panes, but when it get to six and above - there is an awful lot of stars for it to deal with. Having just 4gb of memory doesnt quite help, and my PC is six years old (quad core AMD Phenom) with an SSD - it runs my games alright, but astro processing puts a lot more stress on it.

• Like 1

Wonderful :)  Well done.  Are you going to add other wavelengths to give a colour version?

Edited by Gina
8 hours ago, Gina said:

Wonderful :)  Well done.  Are you going to add other wavelengths to give a colour version?

Thanks Gina, not sure yet as it would require at least six hours of moonless sky to do that. Perhaps in late July/August if the weather is kind ;)

• Like 1

lol.... just checked my Flickr account and overnight the image has sort-of exploded (in Explore), its only the 2nd time ive gotten into that group.... very unexpected!

In light of that, I may just stick with the FOV I have and push it to competition standard (ie: double exposure for all panes, plus colour). I think the Star 71 deserves a pat on the back and be treated to an SII filter :)

• Like 2

Thanks Andy! I think the feedback I've had from Flickr has been enough to convince me to push it a lot further. Im going to splash out on an SII filter and give it the HST treatment, might turn into something a bit spesh then :)

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Thanks Jeremy :)

Just had a tinker with some star removal, it seems to mash up the crescent a bit though....

One magic can of StarzBgone, but I actually liked the starry version better. The 2nd version is a little too harsh, and some star residue is still visible. But it does show a spectacular cloud formation, and gives a whole new meaning to cloudy night.

17 minutes ago, wimvb said:

One magic can of StarzBgone, but I actually liked the starry version better. The 2nd version is a little too harsh, and some star residue is still visible. But it does show a spectacular cloud formation, and gives a whole new meaning to cloudy night.

It might look better if I get a deeper set of data, and ensure the stars are already small before I remove them (using a layer mask). Next time round I'll try it again and see how it looks. I'll probably end up removing them anyway when it comes to a colour layer, before blending with a well exposed/processed Ha luminance layer - that will help avoid the magenta halos you sometimes get with HST colour images.

• Like 1

Only about 60 panels to go for all of Cygnus! I used to reduce my mosaic to 50% before processing, trying to scroll 20 foot of image was tedious. Looking good so far tho :headbang:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, martin_h said:

Only about 60 panels to go for all of Cygnus! I used to reduce my mosaic to 50% before processing, trying to scroll 20 foot of image was tedious. Looking good so far tho :headbang:

Cheers Martin, I remember your version well!

Heh :) I cant imagine how tedious that would be to manage an image that size! It would probably help speed things up too when applying actions etc.. I think once it gets to about 100mb+ things will start to creak a bit (even moreso when/if its in colour), though im not sure if my version of Ps is making proper use of multi core processors.

I just can't stop looking at this,  simply amazing. 

I don't want to derail the thread but what software are you using to make sure you are in the right area with enough overlap? 

It has always baffled my previous mosaics

She's a beauty Rob, I thought there could be a update some time soon

as we have been blessed with a couple of clear nights lately,

I will be watching for the next update on this glorious mosaic :)

well done

Paul 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, matt-c said:

I just can't stop looking at this,  simply amazing. 

I don't want to derail the thread but what software are you using to make sure you are in the right area with enough overlap? 

It has always baffled my previous mosaics

Thanks Matt!

My mosaic planning is done with the Stellarium oculars plugin - that gives me a framed view of the FOV for my camera and telescope. I then choose a bright(ish) star about 20% from the edge of the frame for the next overlap, from there I can roughly plan how many panes I need to cover an area.

When in artemis capture, I use the markers function to mark bright stars in each pane, which allows me to return to the same place every other following session. Then, when it comes to moving on to the next pane, as with Stellarium I choose a bright star near the edge of the frame then move that across to the other side of the frame - save & remove my current markers, then place new markers for the new pane. If the pane takes me off the beaten track, I often save the position to the user locations in the handset (I think the NEQ6 can store 99 user locations).

• Like 2

Rob

This wonderful monochrome mosaic is splendid without other colour, creating its own distinct character.  The mono excels at informing the viewer of vast sweeps of galactic gas and dust and you have produced a top class example.  Good stuff!

• Like 1

Thanks Barry, I'm just planning my next move on this and Ive decided to go deep rather than big (to start off with) - get these six panes absolutely nailed in Ha, then add the colour. Cygnus is around for ages, so plenty of time to do it :)  And by the time I start adding OIII it should be in prime position. Though I will be mindful not to let other stuff slip past this year, I still owe the heart & soul a good dose of OIII too!

• Like 1