Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have you seen the size of the new sunspot!

Fozzie

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Missed my chance to see it again today. I was up at 10am and it clouded over about 12.

You know what they say about the early bird Paul ?

Top sketch shane, you must have been dodging some showers to get that? weathers been tripe over here..

I've got the scope in the car but missed my opertunitys on Monday and Tuesday.. lets see what little hope tomorrow brings!

Thanks for sharing that..

Ta

Fozzie

Wow, six day run! Transparency incredibly poor with a veil of thin cloud making it difficult to get a good handle on detail. Allowed me to get down more of an impression than accurate representation. Couldn't really see any pores, just the off suggestion of something.

20160519_122045[1].jpg

I still haven't seen this thing since it was creeping around the limb :sad:

The weather forecast is showing a sunny period tomorrow morning so will hopefully get a chance then :smile:

Great dedication Shane, I've not seen the thing since last Sunday, work or total leaking cloud cover has put pay to those aspirations.. looks like a quiet WL disk now, big spot apart. Will be looking this morning, might even throw the f11 at it too..

Happy viewing!

Fozzie

Just got my first chance to view this since it first appeared on the limb and I am very pleased with my first attempt at using my new TV Fonmate with the iPhone...

IMG_4285.jpg

:grin:

Now I have to pack up as I made a rash promise to visit the in-laws today :sad:

11 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Just got a glimpse but cloudy now.

20160522_085552-1.jpg

Looks a little like Bart Simpson at the right angle Shane ;)

Just managed a look myself. Lots of high cloud scudding by but some clear views although the seeing is very average at best.

It looks like a small section of penumbra has split off towards the bottom (as seen in my scope this morning) nice pores following on, and the umbra is looking pretty spikey too! Need some nice sharp seeing before this disappears but I doubt we will get it.

I'm out and viewing, some lovely detail through the penumbra and on to the dark edge if the spot... looks like a section of the penumbra has separated, to my 6 o'clock.. lovely pore grouping arching off around 2 o'clock..

Currently though I'm experiencing some significantly wobbly seeing and increased dampening times... 

20160522_101432.jpg

Hope others are having better luck!

Ta

Fozzie 

I'm pretty new to viewing the Sun and only started viewing the sun on mercury's transit on the 9th May. Tbh I've been viewing the Sun more than I've been out at night due to these cloudy nights we seem to be getting all the time lately. And for some reason the clear nights happen on or near full moon!!

Any way I Just thought I'd add my image of this Sun Spot taken on the 16th May. Baader solar filter, 200p dobby and unmod canon 100d.

Sun 16th May.jpg

Archived