Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

beginner setup advice

Hi everyone, ive been using my dob 200p telescope for some time now and think it is time I looked into a new setup for imaging and or videos, my question is quite simple I would like some advice on cheap starter equipment, I intend to keep my current telescope is it a good idea to get a motorized mount for it or buy a second telescope with a motorized mount and what is a good but cheap camera for attaching to the telescope, do you prefer to use webcam or dslr camera, makes models would be superb. I must add i live in the UK and we have quite poor conditions so im not expecting dazzling images like ive seen on here which are simply breathtaking so really want to keep costs of setup as low as possible

Don't set your sights too low.  Great images are possible with even modest equipment - have a look at "The No EQ" DSO challenge' thread if you haven't already done so.  I would get an entry-level dslr camera (preferably modified for astro photography) if you want to do DSO stuff and a web cam if you want to do planetary.  But first, buy a copy of 'Every Photon Counts'.  I wish I'd done so earlier than I did, as I'd have easily saved on the cost of the book.

John

What's your budget for an imaging set up? "Cheap" can be interpreted many ways - a full, economy imaging rig with cameras and guiding is gonna be around £1200 to £1500 second hand. But a more limited rig can be put together for around £500.

Also what gear do you have already? If you're after dso's the best way to do it is with dslr and an equatorial tracking mount. For planets choose a webcam - and  it can be done with eq or alt/az tracking. :)

(+1 for MEPC)

49 minutes ago, Starwiz said:

Don't set your sights too low.  Great images are possible with even modest equipment - have a look at "The No EQ" DSO challenge' thread if you haven't already done so.  I would get an entry-level dslr camera (preferably modified for astro photography) if you want to do DSO stuff and a web cam if you want to do planetary.  But first, buy a copy of 'Every Photon Counts'.  I wish I'd done so earlier than I did, as I'd have easily saved on the cost of the book.

John

Oops, I meant the book "Making Every Photon Count".  It's been a long week :happy8:

I really havent set a budget as yet but I would really like to keep it between £500 and £1000, I am not counting lenses as i intend to buy more for my other telescope anyway which will work for both scopes, I really have nothing for imaging so far at all. thx for the post about getting both dslr and a webcam I presumed that would be the best option so will do that. I will look for that book sounds like a good one to have in my collection. 

would this telescope be adequate for a beginner one, saw it on flo and the price seems decent and leaves good room for a camera etc

Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

I have that mount and a 130p. To be honest I think that it's pretty much at it's weight limit for visual, put a camera on it and you've got no chance. Also, the tracking is neither smooth enough nor accurate enough for dso imaging, I struggled with planets and a webcam for ages, although that could of course be more me than the kit! I've upgraded to an eq mount with tracking and the difference is amazing much more smooth, accurate and reliable. Its only an eq3-2, so only entry level but so much more stable than the synscan goto.

The 130P is a very nice little starter scope - but if you really want to have a go at imaging then this version of it is well spec'd for dso/dslr prime focus photography:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

An alt/az tracking mount is fine for imaging planets - but dso's really need a very accurate equatorial mount that tracks in RA. These start around £700 new (or £500 used) so a fair bit over your stated budget. An EQ5 would be the minimum you'd want for stability on a budget and add a right ascension motor. This is going to be around £320 new - but you can find good examples of used ones on UK Astro Buy/Sell website (or SGL classifieds) for under £200.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-deluxe.html

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php

That would give you the bare minimum for initial dabbles at budget imaging, for around £350'ish. When you're ready you can then think about adding guiding and other stuff. Or if you decide it's not for you you'll get around 65% of what you spent for the kit and it won't have cost an arm and a leg to try it for a while. Hth :)

Hi romx,

I can vouch for what Starwhiz said about Alt-Az equipment (do go visit the 'No EQ Challenge' thread). You could visit our sponsors web page and check out this very cheap but decent set up-https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-102-synscan-az-goto.html it's what I am using to take photographs of Deep Sky Objects (dipping my toe into the subject) along with my Canon 600D DSLR. You will need an adapter to connect the camera to the telescope-ask FLO for what you need and you will get sound advice. Alt-Az work has advantages and disadvantages, the advantages being a lightweight set up, portable, very few cables, no polar alignment contortions and a quick set up. If you already have a DSLR that's probably the most expensive element you need already in your hands and you can still use it for daytime use. Of course it's not a orthodox EQ set up but technology has come a way in recent times and liberated the hobby, meaning a very decent start can be made imaging the Messier and Caldwell objects and many more using Alt-Az equipment.

I can also vouch for a great book, 'Astro-photography on the Go Using Short Exposures with Light Mounts' by Joseph Ashley ISBN 978-3-319-09830-2 to explain the approach to Alt-Az imaging. Joe is a very approachable guy.

Good luck however with whatever you choose :-)

Cheers,
Steve

12 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi romx,

I can vouch for what Starwhiz said about Alt-Az equipment (do go visit the 'No EQ Challenge' thread). You could visit our sponsors web page and check out this very cheap but decent set up-https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-102-synscan-az-goto.html it's what I am using to take photographs of Deep Sky Objects (dipping my toe into the subject) along with my Canon 600D DSLR. You will need an adapter to connect the camera to the telescope-ask FLO for what you need and you will get sound advice. Alt-Az work has advantages and disadvantages, the advantages being a lightweight set up, portable, very few cables, no polar alignment contortions and a quick set up. If you already have a DSLR that's probably the most expensive element you need already in your hands and you can still use it for daytime use. Of course it's not a orthodox EQ set up but technology has come a way in recent times and liberated the hobby, meaning a very decent start can be made imaging the Messier and Caldwell objects and many more using Alt-Az equipment.

I can also vouch for a great book, 'Astro-photography on the Go Using Short Exposures with Light Mounts' by Joseph Ashley ISBN 978-3-319-09830-2 to explain the approach to Alt-Az imaging. Joe is a very approachable guy.

Good luck however with whatever you choose :-)

Cheers,
Steve

I will definitely look at that scope, the price is extremely reasonable, Good idea about asking FLO they are wonderful and the only place I have full confidence in when looking for my telescope (got my first one from there) if it wasn't for this site and that one I would probably still be dreaming of gazing into space :)

It looks like I will be going for the startravel-102 and probably a cannon 100D camera, anything else recommended guys?

if i was to get the cannon 100D would it need to be modified for telescope use as ive seen people say they have modified theirs or is that for specific things

Archived