my new telescope

hi well got my first telescope coming today i am not sure i made the right choice it's a sky-watcher explorer 130p parabolic i did give a lot of thought of getting a dobsonian skyline 200p but you didn't seem to get many lenses with it and the shear size of it  changed my mind. or there was the sky-watcher star discovery 150p witch i was really wanted but i could only find it with the goto. i wanted to try see if i could  spot things on my own i thought it would be more fun but i am going to set my iPad up with a app anyway i was just having doubts i think i should of spent more saw i don't need to pay out more  in the future for one with more aperture cheers

You made a good choice Brad - any of those three would be a great first telescope. You can get the 150P on a "non goto" eq mount - or it's available as a dob too - same for the others. But if physical size is an issue then you made the right choice with the smaller 130P. Smashing little scope which'll show you all the popular brighter dso's as well as planets and moon. Congrats! :)

It isn't a pretty red, but it's pretty much the same scope as the star discovery: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

Or on a dobsonian: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html - again pretty much the same scope, but in a longer focal length, with a more forgiving focal ratio.

But what you have is a nice scope and will give you some good views - aperture fever kicking in before you've used it? ;-)

Are in Darwen, Australian or Darwen, Haslingden?

Good choice. You did the right thing not going for the 200 Dob as size was an issue. The 130P is a popular choice as a first scope. The optics in it perform brilliantly (i have same optics in my Heritage 130P). Plenty of amazing sights to see with your scope.

hi everyone  rockystar  darwen lancs sorry to say. anyway got my telescope very happy with it i have put it together have not lined it up yet thought there no point with the sky witch is a bummer. but i think i will get a dobsonian at some point. its just that it didn't have many lenses with it and as you  will know there not cheap. it was driving me mad to be honest picking a telescope to be honest theres  so many i did lots of reading reviews and watching youtube . i can't wait to use it but i was worried about the   aperture because i want to set it up to take photos  hopefully. if people can point me in the right direction for setting this up . does any one uses a iPad what are the best  app for stargazing . anyway i think I've got into a more expensive hobby than my tarantula hobby lol thanks everyone brad

It's a great scope; even if you decide to upgrade you'll not want to get rid of it. I've since acquired a 150mm Mak and a 200mm Dob and the 130p still gets a lot of use. Small and convenient, and ridiculously good for its size.

there are a few people on here that are up your way, I sometimes go up by the grain road for observing, so you won't be short of help if you need it.

I presume you have a 10 & 25 mm eyepiece, did you also get 2x Barlow? If so, that is effectively 4 eyepieces, which I'm my opinion is plenty to get you going ( I only have 3).

iPad I think ha Sky Safari, which by all accounts is very good, and you get recommended Stellarium which a lot of people use.

Great scope I recently got 1 around Christmas not 2 heavy easy took in out som nice clear views just seen Mars & Saturn for th 1st time tonight and it blew me away Wat a site.........I think you'll enjoy

Archived