Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Doctor2

Automating a 3 meter dome

Hi Everyone. I'm almost finished building a new dome and I have installed 12 volt motors / gear boxes to drive the dome. Now I am wanting to control the dome from my computer, so that the opening on the dome is always in line with the telescope. At this stage, thats all I want - I don't need the computer to open / close the shutter or to install a weather station or anything like that.

My question is, what would be the simplest / cheapest option to achieve syncronisation between the pointing of the dome and telescope? I was wondering about using a raspberry pi or something like that? I've never done anything like this before, so if anyone has an idea, I'd be really keen to hear it.

Thanks very much! 

Ross

I trying to pick up a S/H dome ,and my plan is useing a SW Heq5 up grade kit to drive the dome as I have a kit laying around.  ps if that  work or not time will telll.

Hi Ross,

A late reply as I have only just seen your post. One popular and straightforward solution is to use LesveDomeNet software with a Velleman VM110N USB interface board. The LesveDomeNet software controls the Velleman board and you use relays, driven by the Velleman board to control your dome motors.

More details on  www.dppobservatory.net/DomeAutomation/DomeDriver.php

Good luck!

Regards, Hugh

I'm also going to automate my pulsar dome and going down the Velleman route. I will be posting my trials and tribulations as I go. 

Steve

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ACross
      I have a steel pier for sale. This was purchased along with a pulsar dome and believe it is an older Pulsar model. The pier sat in a yard, exposed to the elements for a few years before I purchased it so there is some surface rust and flaking paint but will clean up nicely.  £250 and buyer will need to collect from Suffolk. 

• By Ursa Jaffa
      Hi,
      I'm after some advice on dome slaving.  I have a Pulsar 2.2 metre with the dome rotation kit (and two equipment bays) arriving at the end of November and I'd like to slave it to the hand controller rather than buy Maxim DL, SGP etc.
      Is this possible?  My mount is a CGX-L with the standard handset.  I use SharpCap Pro to capture images and I am not looking to change my setup drastically nor spend anymore money at this point given what the observatory has cost me.
      Thanks in advance!
      Adam
    • By hughgilhespie
      Hi,
      I need to lift off the dome of my 2.2 metre Pulsar observatory so I can smooth out the joints between the 4 sections. They are causing problems when the dome is rotated. When I bought the dome it was installed by Pulsar so I have no experience of lifting the dome on or off the walls. My plan is to use 4 Acrow props to do the lifting so I can do it as a one man operation. I assume that it is best to place the props outside the dome and lift using the edge of the dome. Can I ask anyone with experience of these Pulsar domes if this is the right way and are there any snags?
      Thanks, Hugh
    • By Astrofriend
      I and my girlfriend has come home from a one week travel at Malta, a small island in the Medeterranien Sea. About a mount before we go I came in contact with an amateur astronomer down there, Maurice. He invited me and my girfriend to visit him and his DIY built observatory.
      The observatory is built on top of his house and it has a real dome.
      If you find it interesting to read about it I have done a small report from our visit at the Malta observatory with photos:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/malta-maurice-observatory/malta-maurice-observatory.html
      The Raven and the Owl observatory, Malta.
      After this visit it's hard to understand why we stay in Sweden where we live, when it's dark it's also very cold. We often have from -20 degrees to 0 degrees Celcius temperatures. Now adays we don't have many clear nights either.
      /Lars
    • By mfalzon
      Hi guys!
      I thought I'd pass on this link to a blog I am constructing. I intend to detail and illustrate all the steps involved in the construction of a 2.2m square dome observatory from its conception to it's complete outfitting. I am an amateur astronomer and most of the stuff I used in the making of the dome, apart from the actual construction materials  was from recycled stuff and bits and pieces I managed to scrounge. A lot of the outfitting electronics and gadgetry came from cheap Asian sources and the circuitry and software was again partly home grown or borrowed from other sources.

Time, patience and a generous helping of youtube videos and forums like this one are a must if one gets stuck but thankfully one will always find the answers if one digs deep enough.

Anyways ..here it is for any of you who want to browse..The blog should grow  steadily as I add more and more information and pics and of course anyone interested is welcome to drop me a line on this forum or by email.

There is a lot of ground to cover and so it might take me a while to finish uploading it all ..but after all...hey ...it took me a year and a half to finish!

Welcome to The Raven and the Owl Observatory ... a home-made little portal to the stars...
      https://ravenandowl7....wordpress.com/

Dark skies
      Maurice

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.