Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 SynScan Installation Problem

Greetings. I am in need of a little help. I purchased an EQ5 Upgrade Kit for my mount and was just a little disappointing by the total lack of any installation instructions, apart from how to secure the motor controller holder to a Tripod leg. No matter as I was able, eventually, to obtain just about all I needed from various download sites. To my best belief I have fitted the components and I have powered up. Here is where my problem starts.

The software version is 4.37.03 and on power up I get the Initialization message on the Hand Control. Then I get the following message.

Caution

Both Axis

No Response

I can bypass this and continue with the set up Longitude, Latitude, Date time and time group with no problem.

However there is no control, at all, over the axis motors. It is as if they do not work. No while I might believe that 1 motor may fail I can not believe that both fail so what could I have done incorrectly.

I can confirm power

Hand Control is working

Motor cables connected   (2 of)

Hand Control Cable fitted

I am aware that it would appear that the Motor Controller Holder needs to ensure a good connection with the Tripod leg and this seems OK

But I remain stuck and cannot continue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

All equipment purchase from First Light Optics

Regards

PJC

Hi,

From the photos, I can't see what you are using to power the scope? and you are plugging it into the Synscan box and not the handset, which would give you the 'no connection to motors' error.

Hi 

And thanks for your input. I am using a 12v DC PSU from Maplin and I did have it plugged into the motor controller. I did not have an error message that said "no connection to motor error" but my error message stated

Caution, Both Axis, No response.

I had disconnected the Power for clarity in the photos.

Regards

PJC

Hi and thanks for the heads up on the coloured leads.

This was a sealed unit and only needed the following action: or so I think

1.. Remove the hand wheel

2.. Bolt the motor unit to the scope mount

3.. Install the gear gog to the shaft

4.. Plug in the Dec lead

The coloured leads are not even visible on my unit

Many thanks for your input

Archived