SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ideas for repackaging cooled DSLR

LarryC

Over the winter I TEC/water cooled my modded Canon 600D and it works well, giving me sensor delta Ts of over 40F (~20C).  Following Gina's trailblazing, I've since been working on removing all the unnecessary pieces and parts of  another camera, a 550D.  Now that I have an idea of how much I can strip off a camera,  I plan to strip the 600D and mount it and its TEC and TEC controller in a plastic or aluminum box of some sort.  The problem is that to fit everything, I need a box about 5" x 5" x 3"  (~13cm x 13cm x8cm), but I can't find anything near enough to those dimensions.  This would be a perfect use for a 3D printer, but I don't have access to one.  Does anyone have any ideas where I might find something that might work?

For anyone interested, here's the current "finished" cooled DSLR:

IMG_1165.jpg

Thanks.  If I can't find a nice lightweight plastic or aluminum enclosure online that fits but isn't excessively large, I'll probably make it from acrylic, since I have a bunch in my shop.  Though I may try thin ABS material, but I don't have as much experience welding ABS.  The acrylic weight does begin to add up and I would most likely have to paint the inside and probably outside to make it light proof, so I don't think this would be the ideal case material, but it may be my best option. 

Larry

You can solvent weld ABS with acetone - I find this works very well.  For joints where there isn't perfectly flat surfaces and contact I use a solution of ABS in acetone as a glue.  Although I have a 3D printer (3 in fact) there are some items that are easier to produce in two or more parts and glue them together - either due to size or because of complicated shape.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got my finger out and started my camera rebuild. only got the coma corrector fitted so far though. just uses compression by screwing into my t-adaptor. gonna add usb and power sockets and fit an arduino lcd to the back to monitor the peltier and whatnot.

IMG_20160528_203350_zpsh3bulctx.jpg

got these ordered... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Bar-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Cabinet-Cupboard-Door-Handles-Drawer-Pulls-Knobs-/181722761993?var=&hash=item2a4f854b09:m:ma_Caqfxu3fMWxWGTcvTpug

they'll look quite snazzy with the lcd sat between them on the back :headbang:

did the solder bridges, even checked with a magnifying glass... put the ribbon back in, and nothing... reconnected the lcd, nothing... there's 8v at the terminals i soldered on for external power so that's not the problem.

not sure if this is right, but i'm showing a short between X and Y in this image

2014-03-23-21.43.21_zpsyskjssns.jpg

Almost certain from looking at my photos but I'll see if I can find the hardware and check.  I think your problem could be solder bridges - one or both as shown in anotated copy of your photo attached.

Capture2.jpg

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

2 part problem.

1st was that i must have knocked something when dismantling the case... a complete (everything off down to the chassis) rebuild, and plugging that annoying little switch under the battery flap

happy... is an understatement

Archived