Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Starman

Who's had enough of the transit of Mercury?

It was cloudy in Selsey (where I live) so I had to travel north. Ended up in Leicester on the dividing line between cloud and Sun. Fortunately the cloud dispersed a little giving me clear skies. I've a lot of stuff to wade through, but here are some of the initial results...

20160509_142938_ToM.jpg

2016-05-09_145732_Cak-PST_ToM.jpg

2016-05-09_132733_Ha-SF70_ToM.jpg

2016-05-09_111229_Ha-QuarkCS_ToM.jpg

2016-05-09_Determining-H-alpha-First-Contact_ToM.jpg

Cheers, 

Pete Lawrence 

• Like 15

Nice images. Glad you got to see it in the end. Was a great event to experience, and still nice to see others images of it. :) 

Great images and fascinating to see your determination of first contact in Ha.

Nicely done, Pete.  Good work!

Thanks for sharing.

Clear Skies

Very nice Pete, can't have too many transit images, I might not get to see another one :grin:

Keep them coming

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Fantastic stuff Pete. I love the first contact sequence, amazing detail.

Interesting to compare the first contact time (which I think was achieved visually) by Alexandra a little later, but still ahead of the Calsky prediction presumably due to the prom? Not sure about differences due to location so how comparable the two times are?

thanks Pete, well i never seen it with the pesky clouds ,so the more images i see the better. stunning detail as allways mate,well done. thanks for sharing,charl.

Great set of images. In hind sight i should have made plans to travel but you just never know with the UK weather.

Wonderful set of images. The first contact sequence is breath taking.

That's a real fine set of pictures Pete.  I particularly like the close-up of Mercury overlapping the prominence and the sequences that follow it.  I'm delighted you headed North for clear skies or we would have been deprived of these wonderful pictures.

Really nice, especially the 1st contact sequence .

Great set Pete, glad you got your views even if it did involve a long drive up to Leicester.

Robin

Thank you for your lovely comments. It was a great event. I saw my first Mercury transit in 2003 along with my youngest lad who was 10 at the time. Was rather fitting that I was in Leicester for this one as he's at the University up to his neck in finals.

Pete