6 1/2 Inch Refractor from Explore Scientific

I've not seen this one listed before so I guess it's a new model ?:

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Telescope-optics/EXPLORE-SCIENTIFIC-APO-165-mm-FPL-53-CF-3-0-FT.html

It seems to use an FPL-53 glass element - thats a big chunk of that expensive stuff, which accounts for a good slice of the cost I reckon.

3" focuser - a reason to buy the 30mm 100 degree 3" ES eyepiece !

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carbon fibre 6.5" triplet claiming reference class - impressive spec! Wouldn't mind a gander to see how well it's corrected! Without a lottery win though it's deffo outa my budget. Even with a win, there are well established scopes in competition. Nicely spotted John :)

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looks interesting, but I think if I were spending that cash I would probably go with one of the other more premium brands, APM perhaps....

I think the top end APM stuff is very interesting.

Their newish 140mm FPL-53 doublet could be a nice visual scope too. At least one member not too far from me has one.

With these big fracs the quality of the objective cell seems to be really critical. Most of the issues that I've read about with them (not solely APM to be fair) seem to centre around shortcomings with objective cells rather than the glass thats in them.

2 hours ago, John said:

I think the top end APM stuff is very interesting.

Their newish 140mm FPL-53 doublet could be a nice visual scope too. At least one member not too far from me has one.

With these big fracs the quality of the objective cell seems to be really critical. Most of the issues that I've read about with them (not solely APM to be fair) seem to centre around shortcomings with objective cells rather than the glass thats in them.

I guess APM LZOS is the way to go!

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I guess APM LZOS is the way to go!

Yep. They look great :icon_biggrin:

Still not sure I need a triplet for purely visual but there are more triplet choices than doublets.

That's a lovely scope John, in fact they both are. I still find myself drawn to traditional white tubes with black fittings though:-).

I delivered an item I recently sold to a chap in the north west yesterday while up that way on business..he opened his garage up and pointed to a large long object covered by a sheet, and said "would you like to see what's under the sheet?". Without waiting for a reply he pulled off the sheet and this is what was underneath...

It's a 6" F10 oil spaced triplet apparently designed by Es Reid, lens built by John Watts and tube by Beacon Hill Telescopes. Oddly, it was sporting a focuser from a TAL 100 RS!!

He said it delivers the best refractor views he's ever seen. The Altaz mount is very impressive and solid and smooth, and you could push the whole assembly with a single finger. He said the whole thing cost £9k new.

I think that ENS recently had a similar looking OTA, for sale for c £1k, ie  F10 and UK built oil spaced triplet?

It was certainly an impressive looking scope and I'd love a peek through it. I said a scope like that deserves a Moonlight focuser on it!

Sorry to go off thread but just thought it might be of interest:-).

Dave

IMG_20160511_115625375.jpg

That does look a lovely scope Dave :icon_biggrin:

I tend to agree with you on the colour scheme of scopes but if I was offered a blue or purple Astro Physics for free I'd probably accept it !

I really like the looks of the APM / Lunt 152 ED F/7.9. I'd need to star test one before committing though, from the slightly mixed views my thread on CN got :dontknow:

I've already had a visit from the police ARU and a helicopter, and had to explain what a refractor was to 4 or 5 machine gun wielding police men and women, so if I hoisted one of these in my garden I think I'd qualify for a drone strike!

Nice kit though! 13kg hmm.......

Chris

I think, based on reviews I've read on the net, that if I could choose my dream (but manageable) refractor top 3 for visual they would be:

1. TEC 140mm

2. Tak FS128

3. AP Starfire 130 GT

I could live with any of those quite happily!

Dave

That looks lovely.  I have the ES 127 and ES 80 Apos and they are really lovely pin sharp scopes.  Bodes well for this 165.  WAY out of my price range though.

Which raises the question, does anyone know of an Achro above 152mm?  I can't find any.  I'm guessing this is in some way related to the laws of physics.  Then again, they can make decent 152mm F5.9s so how much harder is it to make a 165?

18 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

...Which raises the question, does anyone know of an Achro above 152mm?  I can't find any.  I'm guessing this is in some way related to the laws of physics.  Then again, they can make decent 152mm F5.9s so how much harder is it to make a 165?

D&G in the USA go up to 11" in aperture:

http://www.dgoptical.com/refractor.htm

Istar do an 8" as do APM:

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/telescopes/refracting-telescopes-ota/achromates/apm-designed-203-1800-fraunhofer-refractor.html

John Pons makes some nice big ones too :grin:

post-12764-13387777476.jpg

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

Is it just me, or does John seem to be in the market for the next frac?

:happy11:

Yep, I think I feel an announcement could be on it's way before long:hello2:..

Blimey I sound like a midwife..but then again, there is rather an air of expectancy!:happy6: ..sorry..

39 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Yep, I think I feel an announcement could be on it's way before long:hello2:..

Blimey I sound like a midwife..but then again, there is rather an air of expectancy!:happy6: ..sorry..

Could it be the FS128SV which has disappeared from APM? Or how about the APM LZOS 130/1200, the outsider from Gibraltar...... Or.....??? ??

30 minutes ago, John said:

I appreciate the interest but no decisions made yet :icon_biggrin:

It's a tough one John. Even if I had a nice little (big) pot of cash waiting to spend, I'm not totally sure I know what I would buy. I'm heading down the 130ish Apo frac route, but do you go f6/7 or f9? Mostly triplets (if not all) in this size, cool down time will be longer. Such decisions ?

If only Tak would make that FC125 I think that might sway it for me, a nice fluorite doublet is pretty much it for observing as far as I can judge.

Archived