Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spiderman i ain't.....

Just evaculated 1000's of spiders from the obs, there was nothing in there yesterday but this afternoon went in and they'd been mating, webs were everywhere and they were full of little red spiders... everywhere.

Iive been at it for 2hrs clearing them out and i am not a freindly neighbourhood spiderman......  everybody died!!!!

do any of you have any anti spider techniques??? if this happens again there will be no alternative but to burn down the obs & possibly the surrounding london area to make sure i got them all.

So it wasnt so much of an evacuation as an extermination. LMAO @ "if this happens again there will be no alternative but to burn down the obs & possibly the surrounding london area to make sure i got them all".

And here was me thinking i had major hatred of spiders.  You do know that soon you will be feeling the wrath of many people here who like spiders. Stand your ground and defend your right to hate them.

Not really spider specific but I'm reminded of an old neighbours antics every summer.

On "flying ant day" he used to go berserk with a blow lamp out in his garden and on the street. He certainly cleared them up. With some moderation I'm sure his technique would work with spiders in an observatory... 

My own style is more "live and let live", which kind of fits in well with my laid back approach to such things. :) 

My garden is my Obsy. I'm sure when i am out there that there are plenty of the little (or not so little) blighter's about. Fair play.........i am in their habitat and once they dont bother me.....they will live to see the Sunrise. 

1 minute ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My garden is my Obsy. I'm sure when i am out there that there are plenty of the little (or not so little) blighter's about. Fair play.........i am in their habitat and once they dont bother me.....they will live to see the Sunrise. 

You know in the daytime when I actually think about it, I think about the fact that I sit on the floor to look through my scope and I'm out there in the dark and any creepy crawlies could be out and about.  But to be honest, whilst I'm out and using my scope, all I'm interested in is what I can see with my scope.  Not with what might be crawling around near or on me.  I guess that's a good thing??

1 minute ago, g30rg313 said:

I saw a spray in a shop the other day.....kind of like the spray you get to kill wasps and flies. .....but for spiders.....I need some of this.  I have a paralysing fear of spiders.

Raid is your friend. There is a version which kills spiders as well as wasps. I find though that it makes spiders aggressive in their last couple of mins and instead or retreating........they advance towards you. 

I do suffer from genuine arachnaphobia. I am paralysed to the spot, i start getting cold sweats, my heart rate goes through the roof. If i see one i will stay awake all night watching it until morning and hope it finds its way back out from where it came.

3 minutes ago, g30rg313 said:

You know in the daytime when I actually think about it, I think about the fact that I sit on the floor to look through my scope and I'm out there in the dark and any creepy crawlies could be out and about.  But to be honest, whilst I'm out and using my scope, all I'm interested in is what I can see with my scope.  Not with what might be crawling around near or on me.  I guess that's a good thing??

The saying goes: "Out of sight,out of mind". This is not the case with me. I live in fear of even seeing them (in my house). Before i enter any room, i switch on the lights and have a good look around the walls and floors and ceiling........before entering the room.

Its really only house spiders i have a problem with (and Tarantula). I dont mind money spiders,jumping spiders,garden spiders (once they are in the garden) or what we call here in Ireland "daddy Long Legs" (Harvestermen spiders). A true daddy long legs is a crane fly.

23 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Not really spider specific but I'm reminded of an old neighbours antics every summer.

On "flying ant day" he used to go berserk with a blow lamp out in his garden and on the street. He certainly cleared them up. With some moderation I'm sure his technique would work with spiders in an observatory... 

My own style is more "live and let live", which kind of fits in well with my laid back approach to such things. :) 

Flying ants here in Ireland are seen as a sign of an oncoming heatwave. I dont mind them, but not nice when you swallow one by accident.

27 minutes ago, g30rg313 said:

I don't need to check rooms I seem to instinctively know when a spider is nearby....it's like a "spider sense" haha

You do get a feeling of unease, dont you. It MUST be a primevil trait in humans left over from way back before the internet. If it is though...........wouldnt we all fear the same things in life?

LOL.

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

You do get a feeling of unease, dont you. It MUST be a primevil trait in humans left over from way back before the internet. If it is though...........wouldnt we all fear the same things in life?

LOL.

Maybe the primeval trait bit is true.  But maybe it just depends on what each persons fear is.  With me, it's spiders, with someone else it might be mice or snakes.  But I do believe that something deep in your psyche can sense when danger is near.

The only critters that don't figure under my "live and let live" policy are wasps. Simply because I've been stung by them 3 times while just minding my own business. 

Having said that, I was recently tiling the bathroom floor when I noticed a wasp over at the closed window trying to get out. I couldn't get to open the window without wrecking the tiles I'd just laid so I apologised to the wasp for not even giving it a chance of freedom. If it had been a bumble bee I'd have tried to unlatch the window with a stick or something.

This morning I was doing some finishing off and opened out a dust sheet I'd had in there and out fell the dead wasp. I still felt sorry for it!

I explain myself to myself by considering some of the threads right here on SGL about life elsewhere in the Universe. The lengths we go to detect it and what form it might take etc. Well, life is right here. We share a small planet with lots of it. It all fascinates me. Even the most basic insects are magnificent examples of life. How far do we need to look?

(sorry, there goes another thread into the rough! :) )

Archived