Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ts Optics

I'm wondering if anyone here has anything to say about Ts Optics telescopes? 

I'm looking to upgrade from my skywatcher 200p to a smaller refractor with a slightly wider field of view.

I'm currently looking at the TS IMAGING STAR 65MM F/6.5 QUADRUPLET ASTROGRAPH.

It has a good review on modern astronomy but just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with them, either good or bad.

Thanks

Whats wrong with a Skywatcher 80ED? With its reducer it will be f6.3 and a 510mm focal length. Certainly cheaper than the 65mm.

But, you havent yet told us what youre going to use it for (widefield observation or AP).

The TS scope has a slightly bigger field of view and I won't have to mess around with spacing from the reducer.

I've also heard bad things about the focuser on the Ed80. I'll need a good, solid focuser for my atik 383l and filter wheel as combined they are quite heavy.

3 hours ago, geordie85 said:

The TS scope has a slightly bigger field of view and I won't have to mess around with spacing from the reducer.

I've also heard bad things about the focuser on the Ed80. I'll need a good, solid focuser for my atik 383l and filter wheel as combined they are quite heavy.

If the focuser on the TS is the same as on the WO Star 71 (same manufacturer?) then I'd give it a miss. Teflon pads as drawtube guides are good for beginners telescopes....

46 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

If the focuser on the TS is the same as on the WO Star 71 (same manufacturer?) then I'd give it a miss. Teflon pads as drawtube guides are good for beginners telescopes....

Thanks for the heads up. 

Any other suggestions for a decent astrograph/ light weight refractor?

I've also been looking at the vixen ed81s, but I'd imagine there wouldn't be much difference between that and the skywatcher Ed80, barring the huge price difference 

Don't confuse the Vixen ED81s with the SW ED80. The Vixen is fully Japanese made and has an excellent dual speed focuser as standard. I have the ED103s and it's superb.

Fit and finish a class above the ED80 which is Chinese made.

Dave

With the difference in price between the Vixen and the SW80ED, you could swap the focuser of the SW and still remain at a lower cost. 

I've used this one in a few scopes so far and it can handle quite a load. There are options with a longer drawtube.

But the aesthetics and overall craftmanship of the Vixen are ahead of the SkyWatcher.

There are other imaging scopes from TS which could do the job and since you mentioned the Vixen, I take that as your budget ceiling:

This one,  this one and this one could do the job, the last two needing a FF / FR.

Had about 8 scopes from TS so far and no issues. However I purchase them through a friend who checks everything before he sends stuff to me. 

My budget is £1000. 

I'm really leaning towards the vixen now after the reviews I've read and what's been said on here about it.

Still going to be a couple months yet before I've got the money for it but I'm pretty sure that's what I'll go for.

I was also looking at the William optics gt81 but I think the ed81s will suit my wants better.

I mainly image DSO's and will use my 200p for planets 

The flaw of the vixen (I have one) is that the objective is held/supported by 3 metal tabs that intrude by 2-3mm into the light path. This gives slightly weird diffraction patterns around bright stars.

Robin

1 hour ago, rwg said:

The flaw of the vixen (I have one) is that the objective is held/supported by 3 metal tabs that intrude by 2-3mm into the light path. This gives slightly weird diffraction patterns around bright stars.

Robin

Ah that's not good. 

I guess my search continues.

2 hours ago, geordie85 said:

My budget is £1000. 

I'm really leaning towards the vixen now after the reviews I've read and what's been said on here about it.

Still going to be a couple months yet before I've got the money for it but I'm pretty sure that's what I'll go for.

I was also looking at the William optics gt81 but I think the ed81s will suit my wants better.

I mainly image DSO's and will use my 200p for planets 

Just a hair above your budget but it comes with built in flattener and a fast f4.4

Ultranova has posted a review of that 'scope in the equipment reviews section. I'll add that we're both having "fun-and-games" getting the spacing right, with multiple emails back and forth between us and TS.

It could be a good 'un but a verdict will have to wait a while.

On 12/05/2016 at 15:13, nicoscy said:

And that's why I stick to visual astronomy. Imaging is a rough ride... :icon_biggrin:

But we'll worth it once you get everything working correctly.

I'm now trying to persuade the wife to let me buy the gt81 that's in the clearance section at the moment

Well I'm very happy to say that I've finally (been allowed to, from the wife) purchased a wo star 71 that came up recently on FLO. 

Just waiting to return home from holiday before I can have it delivered.

ROLL ON MONDAY :hello2:

Archived