SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Petition to regulate light pollution

billyharris72

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, caracol_uk said:

I've also notified each of the Wildlife Trusts based throughout the UK. I'm not sure how much this will help, but no harm in trying.

Simon

Nice work Simon. Action speaking louder than words. 

Many thanks to all members at SGL for the help in raising awareness of this. 

The petition is well on the way this morning and with more people coming on board all the time. 

Well done to all and keep up the support of a great hobby and community.

howdo,

sorry to arrive late, I work for the wildlife trust here in Norfolk & after finding this post at weekend ive been in contact with the wildlife trusts head office to ask if the link could be circulated to all 47 trusts in the uk. I've also asked my boss if this link can go onto our website.

Have also contacted buglife to ask the same thing.

I will keep you posted when I hear some news.

I posted a message on the BAA website Forum yesterday at 14;:25 under General. At the moment it has been viewed 39 times, since that time the counts have risen by 216 votes. If this keeps up we can expect to see well over 17,600 votes. Hopefully it may be increasing in awareness of the public at large. ( amateur and professional astronomers, wild life enthusiasts included)

If it gains momentum which would be good we could even exceed that number!

The government web site says that nearly all petitions that get over 10,000 votes are usually responded to.

Derek

I was reminded today just how important light levels are for wildlife at the very first sign of dawn the whole area erupted in a chorus something that this thread has made an important issue.

Alan

howdo,

have received these responses, first from wildlife trusts

Morning Gary,

Many thanks for your email & for raising awareness of the petition. Sorry to delay my response further, but I just need to discuss the matter with our Director of England before replying with our suggested course of action.

I hope to be back in touch later in the week.

Kind regards,

Ruth

secondly from buglife

Dear Gary,

I would love to have a look at that petition as we have worked with light pollution before.

Would you mind sending a link to it to us and we can start letting people know about it, if it is in agreement with our policies.

Kind Regards,

Imogen Burt

will let you know when I hear any more.

Drew a blank from CPRE I'm afraid, saying that they can't support an external petition but that they have their own campaign.

Good to see some of the Wildlife Trusts getting on board. Wondering if there any other non-astro constituencies out there that we should be reaching out to. Does LP affect bird life much, and if so should we be posting something on Birdforum or similar?

Just a thought.

Hi Billy,

I did email all of the registered UK RSPB/birdwatching societies and wildlife trusts individually over the past few days. It's very handy being able to write scripts to pull the email addresses off websites etc to automate these tasks :-) I just have to be careful to keep below the spam thresholds.

Regards

Simon

1 hour ago, billyharris72 said:

Drew a blank from CPRE I'm afraid, saying that they can't support an external petition but that they have their own campaign.

Short-sighted, why do organisations put pride and marketing before pragmatism?

The Petition is gaining pace. The society emails I sent out look to be bearing fruit as signatures in those areas have risen.  Still some area's with no signatories on the map?  

Archived