Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Roel

Full disk pastel drawing of Mercury's transit (h-Alpha)

Yesterday's transit of Mercury in front of the Sun was almost entirely visible from the Netherlands. The transit started around noon in a perfecly clear blue sky and it stayed that way untill around 6pm, when high clouds slowly came in from the south. Unfortunately I missed the end of the event, but nonetheless I was able to watch everything non stop for hours. And it was absolutely wonderful!

It started with one of the greatest views I ever saw through my 60mm h-Alpha telescope: the tiny planet's black disk just grazing the side of a prominence. While the dot was just making a dent in de solar disk, the rest of the planet's dark side was ghostly visible against the background of a very dim "halo" next to the brightest part of the prominence. An incredible sight!

When the transit proceeded I started making a pastel sketch of the entire Sun's disk. Some small prominences were visible around the edge, and the northern half of the Sun was decorated whith nice filament and mildly active regions. After one hour I finished the drawing with the tiny and inky black dot of Mercury. I photographed the sketch the same evening, and used Photoshop to give it an orange hue and to correct the mirror reversed image. No further alterations were made.

Schets_Mercuriusovergang_fulldisk_web900.jpg

And this is a close-up of the same drawing, to show the tiny planet's dot more clearly:

Schets_Mercuriusovergang_fulldiskcrop_web700.jpg

• Like 15

Just WOW, had to double take to make sure I'd read the words 'pastel drawing' in your title and I'm completely not blowing smoke up your wotsname. That is a great piece of work, get yourself down the Tate sir.

It's beautiful!

Roel, that is an absolutely wonderful skill that you have - completely stunning! :smile:

That's pretty amazing Roel, job to tell it from an HA image, hope you're going to frame it and hang it.

Dave

Lovely sketch. The close up looks so realistic I thought it was a photo.

Awesome sketch. Like others on here I did a double take - looked at the photo and expected to find a sketch further down the page. Close up detail is superb.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By acr_astro
      Dear all,
      compared to four days ago, the solar disc and the prominences looked a bit more interestingly varied. I could do a sketch during the lunch break:

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: May 19th, 2020 / 1300-1330 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on grey Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Size: 24 x 32 cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim

• By acr_astro
      Hi all,
      as well today the sun is shining brightly here. I set up the Lunt to have a look at it, at first just for observing. However, somehow I cannot resist and have to do a sketch This time I've chosen reddish pastels on grey paper to better catch the color of the view in the eyepiece.

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: May 15th, 2020 / 1400-1430 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on grey Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Size: 24 x 32 cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By Bajastro
      I finished observations of the Mizar A spectroscopic binary.
      Calibration for the Hα line made on water lines contained in the Earth's atmosphere.
      I used LowSpec spectrograph with 1800 grooves/mm reflective holographic grating, APM APO 107/700, QHY163M camera and HEQ5 mount with guiding.
      It turned out that the Earth's movement practically compensated for the radial velocity of the Mizar A system.
      Based on the analysis, I received the result:
      vr = -8.8 km/s
      in fact the system is approaching at a radial velocity of -6.3 km/s.

I also determined the phase plot of radial velocities based on my measurements for the Na (together for both lines) and separately for Hα line:

Error is based on half my spectral resolution (0.2 Å/pix corresponds to rv = 10 km/s). Each measurement corresponds to the stack a few images.

The most important purpose of observing this binary system was to record the historical Ca II line (often called as CaK, 3933.66 Å).
      The distances in the violet part of the spectrum are almost 2x smaller than the corresponding shifts for the Hα line. This line initiated the discovery of spectroscopically binary systems, and Mizar A was the first discovered system of this type.

These were the spectroscopic observations in the 19th century:

Source: https://www.leosondra.cz/en/mizar/#b20

I've made several observations of this line in the last two weeks:

Animation showing the changes in the CaK line based on my observations:

Not only the Ca II is split, but the surrounding lines also, shown below in a wider environment:

Balmer hydrogen lines are becoming more dense as Balmer's gap approaches (3646 Å).

Observation result of the Hα line:

And animation showing the changes in this line:

The Na I doublet was much more difficult to observe, because stars with A spectral type contain very faint lines of this metal:

Animation showing the changes in the sodium doublet:

We received the sodium quartet
    • By Bajastro
      1. Alcyone (Eta Tauri, η Tau, 25 Tau) in the Pleiades open cluster, spectral type B7IIIe+A0V+A0V+F2V.
      This star is a multiple system, but my goal of observation was the H-alpha profile of the main component:

Horizontal axis scaled to radial velocity:

2. Pleione (28 Tau, BU Tau) also in M45, spectral type B8Vne, variable star, the brightness changes in range: 4.83 - 5.38 V. 
      This is the faintest star, which I observed with using APO 107/700 & Low Spec spectrograph 1800 l/mm. 
      It was difficult, but obervation was positive (high gain, exposure time 4 min):

3. Tianguan (Zeta Tauri, ζ Tau), spectral type B1IVe+G8III: (mark ":" according to the VSX database means uncertainty).
      This is an eclipsing binary with variability type E/GS+GCAS, period is 133 d. The brightness changes in range: 2.80 - 3.17 V.

4. Cih, Tsih (γ Cas), spectral type B0.5IVpe, variable star with a magnitude range of 1.6 to 3 V:

5. Alnitak (Zeta Orionis, ζ Ori), spectral type O9.5Ibe+B0III. Variable star with a magnitude range of 1.74 to 1.77 V.
      Spectral lines have characteristic P Cygni profile, below H-alpha:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.