Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trying to tame my nuclear stars - M63 as a test subject.

Hi Everybody.

I started this thread as a split-off of my previous thread:

The discussion drifted off towards my horrible lack of skill of taming my stars (i'm glad it did!)

I used this fresh knowledge gathered there and applied it as well as i could as a first-timer doing this in photoshop (i was purely a PI guy until now) to my very quickly gathered M63 data. (btw i lost a lot of color detail binning the color data, i shouldn't have done that)

I'd love your feedback if my efforts have paid off. I am WAY more happy with these kind of stars than the ones i had before, but would like some critical voices around here to judge this capture.
Most time i spent is to accurately do the star-control (with the starshrink plugin mentioned in the other thread, as well as lots and lots of layers and masks) not only on L but also RGB. Initially i had rather bad colored halo's (and i think i still have few of them lurking around)

M63.jpg

Kind regards, Graem

Very nice! You are quick to learn.

To pull out more light from the image try this:

Create a luminance layer from the rgb image.

Blur the colour image and use colour saturation on it

Apply the luminance to it as an LRGB-combination.

Easy to do in PixInsight.

Hi Wim.

Thank you for your tip. Tried it out, works well. I had to add a mask when raising saturation, or else my blue halos around the stars would pop up again. The difference is noticeable though. I didn't think about raising saturation like that before, always did it on the RGB image itsself. I guess your version reduces introduction of chromatic noise as we're blurring (convolution i guess you were talking about in PI?) the image first?

I lost a lot of blue, i think next time i'll go for slightly longer blue exposures compared to the rest.

Kind regards, Graem

Blurring the easy way in PI is to use MultiscaleMedianTransform or MultiscaleLinearTransform and just double-click the first 3 - 4 waveletlayers. These are then excluded from the image. The lower the layer number, the more fine detail it represents. So, the more layers you exclude, the more you blur.

MultiscaleMedianTransform.png

Archived