Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starlit Sunbeds and Averted Vision

iPeace

My current observing post is on a balcony facing South. Said balcony is attached to a very nice suite on the upper floor of a very nice hotel. To the East, the Aegean Sea forms the horizon; to the West, the lower view is somewhat obstructed by the hotel building, so let's just say it's not possible for me to determine the color of the Twins' bathing shorts.

With two very large and comfortable sunbeds positioned to give a first-class view either to the South-West or the South-East, and a side table to elevate a pocket sky atlas and a serving of the evening's beverage of choice to within easy reach, this particular patch of sky is mine to enjoy.

There's something immensely relaxing about observing with binoculars in such a place. There is a total lack of urgency; no sense in trying to tease out that last bit of planetary detail - and indeed, no need to do so with so much else on display, and absolutely no chance at all of it getting too cold to continue. One could stay out all night. And it would be worth it.

This description is for Monday, May 9th 2016. I realize the rest of you were busy watching the Mercury transit, and rightly so, but even if my holiday plans had not caused me to be without my full kit, Sol is the one star I am totally unequipped to observe. As it was, my only visual aid was a pair of 10 x 30 image-stabilized binoculars made by Canon. And it turned out to be quite enough.

At 20:45, Luna was first out to the West, a nice waxing crescent with Mare Crisum taking center stage. To the North, Cleomedes, Burckhardt and Geminus; to the South, Mare Fecunditatis still mostly in shadow, but Langrenus nicely in view. Then someone with power over such things threw an appropriate switch, and the stars gradually appeared.

Practiced hopping from Gemini to Cancer and back, then went for the sights. M44 was as nice as ever. Challenging myself and my new kit, I found Iota just barely willing to acknowledge its split personality. M67 was a bit less willing to show at all.

Up around the zenith, I could find the location of M106, but could not be seen (perhaps to be expected). Alcor and Mizar appeared to have a tiny, shadowy third companion, but who is to say? I panned over and practiced hopping about the Realm, useful training but no real finds. Galaxies, perhaps, are no meal for these bins.

Switching sunbeds, I settled down to watch the heavenly matter gradually rise from the sea and slowly move overhead. This is a bit of sky I have either never been inclined (this would be before I got into this business) or able (since then) to observe before. And there is so much there. And I have never had averted vision make so much of a difference. I've not yet had such a great opportunity to practice the art of not looking at something in order to see it, and it's amazing how much better things can be seen when you stare right past them. Hereinafter, I will refer to this as AV.

Sweeping about, I ran into M5, a big 'wow' with AV. M13 was easy, and M92 was found after a bit of searching. After a few hopping attempts, M12 and M10 showed up, but required some serious AV to view. The location of M14 was not easy to determine, and I can't be confident I saw it at all. M4 was very faint, AV required, but certainly there. M9 was harder, quite ghostly even to the best of my AV. Stumbled upon what turned out to be M11, quite clearly visible, but couldn't find M26.

IC 4665 - now there's a beautiful bit of sky. Barnard's Star? Possibly, but it may as well have not been there. The Scorpion had climbed up higher, making it easy to find M7 off its tail - very nice indeed, as well as M6. Then the magic really started.

M8 and M20 in view together are wonderful, with AV rendering nebulous stardust to enhance the joy. M22 was easily found, and AV showed it as a satisfyingly fuzzy ball of stellar wonder. M25 - also very nice, and AV really brings out the nebulousity of M18, M17 and M16. Also works on M23, a good find but less impressive for the moment...quite spoiled, now...

But the best of all surely must be - and those who have seen it may be expecting this - M24. The Star Cloud. How truly amazing, this Phoenix of divine stuff rising up to the heavens. I'm sure you all have your favorites to share and are willing to tell me that the best is yet to come - and I don't doubt it - but for now, this is as good as it gets. Quite overcome.

Catching my breath, I gazed up into Aquila, where there were now so many stars that I gave up any further attempts to identify. My final catch was Cr 399, Brocchi's Cluster. Such an ordered bit of randomness. Very nice indeed.

It was 3:00 AM. What a night. With 10 x 30 bins. Will feel no aperture fever for quite a while.

Thanks for reading.

Lovely stuff. You are quite right, there is nothing more relaxing that lying back and just gazing up, with or without binos just taking it all in without the faff of a scope. I have a rather large Moonchair Deluxe, one of the few which can take my weight without collapsing ;) and I ly across it when camping, often with a child (teenager!) or two on me watching the milky way, satellites and meteors, great fun.

What a very nice report from somewhere a bit different. If I were to do such a session I would be bitten to death by anything that flies, including aircraft probably. Scorpius is a wonderful part of the sky that is never well seen from the UK, even Antares is low and even from here I can only just see all of it with the mountains to the south.

Alan.

Great report - I feel more relaxed from just reading it!  I love holidays to more southern climes and the excitement you get viewing targets that never make it out of the murk in the UK.  Scutum and Scorpius - wonderful.

Paul

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

What a very nice report from somewhere a bit different. If I were to do such a session I would be bitten to death by anything that flies, including aircraft probably. Scorpius is a wonderful part of the sky that is never well seen from the UK, even Antares is low and even from here I can only just see all of it with the mountains to the south.

Alan.

Guaranteed free of mozzies here Alan, you'd love it.

:happy11:

I would guarantee they would be flying in on the next package tour that landed. They say the Mounties always get their man, the mozzies always get me, to them a I a meal prepared by Gordon Ramsay, it's in the blood.

2 minutes ago, alan potts said:

I would guarantee they would be flying in on the next package tour that landed. They say the Mounties always get their man, the mozzies always get me, to them a I a meal prepared by Gordon Ramsay, it's in the blood.

Surely the mozzies don't think you were prepared with that much shouting and cursing?

:happy8:

Great report, thanks for sharing.  The Canon IS bins are the first ones that allowed me to see Jupiter's moons without needing a tripod to keep it steady enough - tiny little pinpricks next to the great planet itself. I knew then and there they were a great buy..

Tony.

Archived