Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

Seeing several excellent images of the 'Needle' posted recently by members prompted me to go back and have another go at processing one of my own efforts from a while back.  I think this is a worthwhile improvement with more detail extracted in the dust lane.
It's 6.4 hours luminance (1x1) and 3.2 hours RGB (2x2), taken with a SW MN190 and QSI583 with OAG.  This is a crop of the central area.  A wider field view can be seen here: http://universalconstant.com/NGC4565_AP_crop2.jpg

NGC4565_AP_crop4.jpg

• Like 15

Great image! Your wide field looks even better, I think.

Brilliant image. Well done! :) 

A most pleasing reprocess Adrian...I lime it a lot. Nice star colour and I love the galaxy colour too :)

Wonderful edge on, with great balance between the galaxy, stars and background.

A fine image and nice reprocessing of this amazing edge on galaxy. Well done!!

Pete.

That's a wonderful image. I particularly like the wider view with bonus fuzzies and a bit of context to this fascinating galaxy.

That's a beautifully crafted image and, having taken on that target with far more expensive kit, I doff my hat to a superb result.

Oly

Nice image.

Bottom right the spreading trail of faint fuzzies/stars give the impression of light sprinkles left behind as this bright galaxy drifts through space... magical.

Peter

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AstroRuz
      Today I finally edited some data I've had for a while. It's a widefield shot (50mm prime lens) that was used on a modified Canon 600D. The end result is about 50 x 3 minute exposures, ISO 800 f/3.5. It was also shot with an IDAS D2 light pollution suppression filter riding atop an iOptron SkyGuider Pro. The Eastern skies when I shot this are full of street lights so there were some nasty gradients.
      I also realised that the camera lens pulls itself in when the camera is switched off, which meant that even though I'd taped the focus ring down, my focus had changed and I couldn't use flat frames anymore, resulting in the horrible dust motes. Ah well, show must go on! Speaking of flat frames, I have a video on them on my YouTube channel and a post on my website.

I hope you enjoy the photo. It was actually quite difficult to process in a way that doesn't destroy any details in Andromeda. Also, because it wasn't dithered there's a lot of walking noise in the image that also ruined definition.
      Just... appreciate it from afar, and don't zoom in! 😂

• By Sidecontrol
      Hi Everyone,

Not posted some images since my introduction in the welcome section.  With the dark nights finally back here in Scotland I thought Id share some of the DSOs I managed to capture back in Feb-April just before the light nights rolled in at the start of May.

These were all stacked and edited in PixInsight.  
      1.  The Running Man and Orion Nebula - less than an hour of integration time (SA pro + fuji 55-200mm lens).
      2. Bodes and Cigar Galaxy - Less than an hour of integration time ( SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope). 
      3. Flame, Horsehead, Running Man and Orion Nebula - Less than an hour of integration time (SA pro + fuji 55-200mm lens).
      4. Pinwheel Galaxy - 35 mins integration time (SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope).
      5  Whirlpool Galaxy - 21 mins integration time (SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope). 
      6.  Andromeda Galaxy - 1.5 minutes integration time (Move Shoot Move + fuji 55-200mm lens).  

• By stepping beyond
      I've had 3  new mounts since after Xmas last year and it has been a real pita trying to get the first to mounts to operate correctly with my Sgp Software . March rolled in and I had lost too much time trying to get the 1st 2 mounts to do the job . I dipped back in the kitty and got an AVX straight out of the box took me to galaxies FAR FAR AWAY, WOOHOO! I've been trying to process the galaxy for a mount  and match it with my archived data and finally I'm getting somewhere.

• By Ryan Adams
      Hi there,
      I recently posted a thread getting ideas for what scope and mount I should get for beginner astrophotography.
      After researching on my own and getting thoughts from others on scopes and mounts here is what I have come up with.
      Mount - Skywatcher EQ5 GOTO
      Scope - Sky-Satcher Explorer 130P-DS
      Guide Scope - Skywatcher Evoguide ED50
      Guide Camera - ZWO ASI120MM Mini
      DSLR - Canon 350D
      I understand that the camera I am using is fairly old but it is an old DSLR that I have at home and it saves me money on buying a new camera. All in all this setup comes to just over £1000; I just wanted to people's get thoughts on this set up and if it can be improved in any way without stretching the budget by more than £100. Also I wanted to know whether any of the equipment I have chosen isn't great.
      Thanks in advance,
      Ryan
    • By crossingsymmetry
      Greetings everyone.
      I recently scored a great deal on facebook marketplace and bought Skywatcher Skymax 180 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope (f/15) with EQ6R-pro mount. I understand that long focal length telescopes are more suitable for planetary imaging. However, as I am tight on budget, I would like to use the same scope for deep-sky astrophotography. I have Canon Rebel T5 DSLR camera that I am using for taking images. Without autoguiding and a decent polar alignment, I can get ~30 seconds long shots without any star trailing, but that's not sufficient for imaging objects like M51. I would like to be able to integrate longer, say few minutes, thus would like to purchase an autoguider.  Here are some specific questions I have.
      1). The telescope comes with an 8 x 50 straight-through finder.  If I were to use it as a guidescope, what type of image integration time can I expect? Has anyone done autoguiding for f/15 scope with an 8x50 or other finderscopes?
      2). If the integration time will be an issue with the 8x50 finder scope, I am open to purchasing an off-axis-guider. However, considering the narrow field-of-view of Mak-180 telescope, I am concerned about not having enough photons from guidestar for autoguiding. For instance, with my DSLR camera, I need to integrate 20-30 seconds to see the nearby stars in M51. What type of OAG and camera would I need to autoguide with my scope? Are there affordable cameras (~$200) that would do the job for me? Would ASI120MM Mini Monochrome (~$150) do the job? What about OAG?
      I plan to use phd2 software for autoguiding rather than relying on the build-in guide port on the mount.  Instead of integrating for hours, I am planning to do DSS stacking of few mintues long multiple shots, hopefully this will put less strict requirements on the autoguider.
      In case this information is relevant: with my current setup, I have no issue pointing my scope to a desired deep-sky object, track the object within the field-of-view of my DSLR camera for hours using the mechnical tracking of the EQ6 mount. For instance following is a single raw image of Ring nebula taken with 30 seconds shot.  But it is not enough for generating high-quality images. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
      Jay

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.