Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Transit of Mercury plus the 12:35 to Heathrow !

Retro Gear

Hi - not sure if this is the appropriate (since it is an awful video - apologies for that) place to post this - but I was trying to use my mostly broken Meade LX200 (mount electronics had it :angry5:) to view the transit when a nice jet flew over - what are the chances of that ! link below - thanks for watching :icon_biggrin: - oh - and I have no idea if it was going to Heathrow :happy3: - not sure if I've done this correctly - thought just a link would appear below

Will

17 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Excellent serendipitous shot - I'd have been thrilled to capture that!!

Thank you but the actual Mercury transit was so badly filmed I'm embarrassed and would not have posted anything if it were not for the jet appearing - pure luck. The Meade mount is completely jiggered so I had to hand crack the scope – amazing how fast the Sun moves when you're trying to take it's picture :). I haven't been able to collimate the scope for years since I can't keep a star in the field of view (should have tried Polaris !) and don't have an artificial star. Focuser on the Meade leaves a bit to be desired – anyway enough excuses.

Have ordered your book from FLO last week – should have arrived today – hopefully turn up tomorrow. Restarting my hobby from the ground up – fingers crossed this time.

Will

Have ordered your book from FLO last week – should have arrived today – hopefully turn up tomorrow. Restarting my hobby from the ground up – fingers crossed this time.

I personally posted this on Friday by first class post so you should have had it today - fingers crossed for tomorrow.

2 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

I personally posted this on Friday by first class post so you should have had it today - fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I just finished reading it 3 days ago, Steve thanks for a very in depth but plain English education! Will you're in for a treat, and that video is definitely a keeper, I love it.

Now where did I leave all that spare cash.

Hi Will

Thanks for posting - all images and videos are welcome and this is a good example even without the aircraft,

We do not see much solar video imaging here especially in Ha - I tried to have a go in white light with a Baader Solar filter yesterday but the camera was just too sensitive!

Not a complaint that you'd normally hear :)

CS

Paul

8 hours ago, HiloDon said:

The jet was definitely more exciting than the Mercury transit

Hi Don - yes it certainly livened things up here - we had a good clear day in the North of England which was great - only problem was the birds are nesting/breeding and seem to be producing vast amounts of guano - dive bombing various parts of the back garden with one direct hit on the telescope :happy11: - joys of astronomy.

Will

1 hour ago, DoctorD said:

We do not see much solar video imaging here especially in Ha

Hi Paul - thank you - really looking forward to doing just that - still sorting out a "package" at the moment but one of the objectives (perhaps mid to longer term) is to get set up with good filters etc. for Ha work. Hope to be ordering kit in the next months - exciting! My poor old Meade is difficult to use just now - mount has always been a problem and has finally died - "runaway motor" has been the main problem - been repaired before but problem back again - fed up with it so getting some new kit :icon_biggrin:. Have to read Steve's book first - should arrive today.

I actually saw what I believe to have been the same jet transit, it was the same timing and apparently the only aircraft near the Sun at the time! Made me jump. ( Vixen 4" Flourite, Herschel Wedge and binoviewers x45)

4 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I actually saw what I believe to have been the same jet transit

Peter - Interesting - but who spotted it first :icon_biggrin:? Looking on Google maps I'm (about) NNE of Todmorden. Now this is the bit I'm not sure off – (I think I'm having a senior moment :o ) - which way was the jet heading? I had my 70D on a diagonal (otherwise I'd now have chronic neck & back strain trying to look through the viewfinder) and the jet appeared to me (as per the video) to be moving roughly top to bottom and slightly left to right in the viewfinder, in other words North to South and because of the diagonal it really was heading North to South and slightly right to left– hope that's right – which would mean it passed over me and then to you Peter. The above will appear a pointless exercise to all you able minded out there but we retired folk (well me anyway) sometimes have time on their hands and pursue random and confusing issues – even worse I may have got it wrong! :drunken_smilie:

Will

Will,

I checked it in Sky Safari from Todmorden at about 12:35 and you are correct, the plane would have been traveling generally from north to south based on the position of Mercury that is almost due east at that time.  I'm retired, too.

Don

Archived