EQ6 declination stiffness

Andrew*

My EQ6 runs beautifully in RA, but the dec axis is quite stiff to move. It requires some force to get moving and is quite jerky once you're there - not nice for finding stuff.

Does this call for taking it to bits and putting it all back together and stuff? :? Or is it a simple matter of making some simple external adjustments? :grin:

Any ideas?

Cheers

Andrew

I have the same problem. From what I can gather this seems to be common problem?? I was worried that the auto guiding system may not work well - but on my first test it seems to be OK. The number of Dec corrections is very small ( most corrections in RA ) - but I will keep an eye on it. I did mention it to the supplier , he said - as long as you can move the dec axis by hand when you release the clutch ( no scope attached ) it should be OK.

John

I'd take it to bits, just enough to very slightly reduce the bearing preload. From memory you just undo the grub screw in the cone shaped bit that the counterweight shaft locking lever is in and unscrew it a bit.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I was going to try what you said above , KK. Are the screws allen key type? If so what size are they ? I cannot seem to find one that fits.

John

Archived