Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO 224mc or 290mc

Looking for a new astro cam. Used to have a qhy5l iic but never got on with it and found it too unreliable driver wise with sharpcap.

I have a 127 Mak on its SLT mount. Mainly planetary / lunar  and solar use, would like to have a go at the odd messier object - cluster or nebula (may upgrade to a 'proper' EQ mount one day), obv not expecting hubble quality and I have a DSLR for the larger objects.

My scope is setup for remote imaging now, as during the summer months I won't have time for visual observing outside due to kids, so its setup in my observatory. Or toilet tent if you ask the wife.

Price of the 224 and 290 mc (I want colour) is identical, and I will be having one of these two camera. 290 isn't out yet so little info, has smaller pixels but more of them. I have various barlows so getting the correct focal length shouldn't be an issue. 

So, for $350 (nice conversion rate there from First Light Optics), do I go for the tried and tested 224 or opt for the newer 290?

Archived