Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A fiery entrance for Mercury!

IanL

Here we go then.  Getting a bit murky now so started processing.  I've got a few earlier than this so may be able to get the planet against the conveniently situated prominence, but thought I'd start with something easier.

Sun_Full_16_05_09_11_14_38_g3_ap3531_Drizzle15_Invert_Final_Labelled.png

Scope: Lunt LS60THa/B1200CPT
Camera: ZWO ASI174MM, FireCapture
Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6, EQMod
Processing: AutoStakkert! 2, PixInsight 1.8, best 25% of 500 frames
Date: 9th May 2016, 12:14BST (11:14UT)

Her nice, wonder if anyone has caught it right on the prom? I though about the possibility at work this morning, but dismissed it thinking what would be the chance of that happening it make first contact on a prom!

I think I may have done - I have four videos of 500 frames each at minute intervals prior to this one.  Just stacking them now so we'll know before the afternoon is out.  Sun has re-emerged so having to flit from upstairs processing machine to garden and back at the moment.

OK well it'll need some processing - just a quick stack and histogram stretch, and image 3 is problematic due to drifting cloud (managed to salvage a close up of the relevant edge using PIPP), but looks like I nailed it.

First Contact.png

Just now, Davey-T said:

Good work Ian, got absorbed watching it and didn't start capturing quickly enough  :rolleyes2:

Dave

FireCapture is your friend. I did the first few manually and then once I was happy just let autorun take over for a bit.

Archived