Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 flashing red light

Just noticed the red power on light on my HEQ5 is flashing, I'm sure it wasn't flashing an hour ago. Is it trying to tell me something or is that normal? Still seems to be tracking ok. 

Cheers, Doug

Mmmmmm that's not so good, particularly as it's the proper skywatcher power tank I'm using, but I think your right, the flashing got faster and faster and the mount started making a grinding sound so I've switched it off.

think I'll have to get a mains lead, no good if I only get 3 1/2 - 4 hrs out of it.

thanks, Doug 

How old is your battery and do you keep it topped up regularly? (even when not in use). I've had 12hrs out of a fully charged 22Ah battery in a Power Tank - just tracking and slewing around a bit. Also - are you running anything anything else off the same battery? (eg dew heaters). Powering other items can run the it down quicker - and also the temperature makes a difference - the colder it is the quicker your battery will drain.

Balancing up the scope properly and ensuring there's no strain on either axis will help increase battery life for any session. Also ensure the mount isn't overloaded with gear beyond it's capacity (I stay around 80% of capacity or less and it seems to work well). But it does sound like your power is drained - maybe it's time to replace the battery - they do wear out eventually. If so then get as many amp hours as you can for longer sessions. :)

I can only reiterate what Brantuk has stated: Keep the power-tank topped-off. A set schedule of every month get it to a full charge - regardless of usage. And top it off after every use. Failure to do such will result in it's not working for as long as it should/could in the field. Or it's demise altogether.

Dave

On 9 May 2016 at 03:27, DougM43 said:

Mmmmmm that's not so good, particularly as it's the proper skywatcher power tank I'm using, but I think your right, the flashing got faster and faster and the mount started making a grinding sound so I've switched it off.

think I'll have to get a mains lead, no good if I only get 3 1/2 - 4 hrs out of it.

thanks, Doug 

Where do you get 3 1/2 - 4 hours of clear skies from ?. Haven't seen advertised on FLO,s web site !.

Thanks for the replies guys, it's virtually new, only used three or four times, it's the bigger one 17 amp/hr or at least that's what I ordered. Is there any way I can tell if it's the 17 amp version, looking on the net they all look identical and looking at it the outputs say 12v/10a output, have they sent me the right one?

As far as charging it's been fully charged after every use and the mount shouldn't be overloaded with an ed80 and a canon camera,  I was using a dew band but only on about half power, and after the initial alignment and a bit of minor slewing to centre the object the mount was only tracking so I would expect more out of it.

thanks again, 

Doug. 

Has it got any stickers on it ? it should have something, maybe AH rating and production date, could have been in stock a couple of years.

If it's not marked up you will have to take it apart to see the battery.

Dave

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Has it got any stickers on it ? it should have something, maybe AH rating and production date, could have been in stock a couple of years.

If it's not marked up you will have to take it apart to see the battery.

Dave

No Nothing,

I'll see how it goes next time out and if it only lasts a few hrs i'll contact the shop i bought it from, they can sort it under the warranty if it should last much longer

cheers, Doug

Archived