Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

Found an old (apparently USA model) celestron C8 SCT a while back,  its a bit hit n miss with collimation and the optics - (some very strange star test shapes :P) but when it works it works well :)

Here is a couple images from a couple months back.

Thanks for looking. 

This particular night seeing was reasonably good, and collimation wasn't too bad either. angled w astra.pngjupiter sct layer 2.png  Celestron C8 / ASI120MC / 2X barlow - captured in sharpcap2, stacked in autostakkert!2, wavelets in registax6 :)

Edited by Aenima
  • Like 10

Thank you Putaendo Patrick. 

Yeah, the good kinda outweighs the bad i always find in astronomy, its worth the hassle when it all comes together one night and you get an image you are happy with. :)

Got these crater shots a few weeks before that, quite pleased with the detail despite the soft appearance from mediocre seeing conditions.

If i recall rightly it was using a 5xpowermate as well which pushed the scope past its useful limit. I could be wrong and it was just my 3 x barlow. So dont quote me on it - i did however manage to get a useable image that way at one point, so its always worth trying if the conditions allow. :)

nuloooner_Capture-30_09_2015-00_25_53_g4_b3_ap10-dd.jpg

3rd crater.tif

Edited by Aenima
  • Like 1

Very nice images... How about one of the 'scope too! :evil62:

• Like 1

Great shots. I also use a celestron 8" SCT and I think its a great scope. 

• Like 1

Great images.. and I agree, the C8 SCTs are great telescopes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bajastro
      Mars was taken at night between 20:57 and 22:29 UTC. Equipment used: Celestron SCT C8, Barlow 2x, GSO #29 (dark red), ASI120MM Mini, HEQ5 mount.
      Animation was prepared from 20 images with drizzle 150% (the best 10% of frames from 60-second movies):

One of the best images from 21:55UT:

• By StargazingAde
      Hi folks,
      This is one of those questions that over the last year, I am still not that sure on the best set up of my imaging train for planetary imaging using a CPC1100.  In my train is first the visual back, X2 Barlow (or powermate 2.5), manual 5 filter wheel, ADC and then the ASI290MC camera. So they say the further the ADC is from the sensor the more adjustment it has but do you have the filter wheel in front of the ADC and camera or the ADC then the filter wheel next to the camera?. 
    • By Corpze
      Hi, i have made a video where i show a coople of eyepieces that i use and like, and also show how a barlow works, compared to the "Powermate" from Televue. And how is the FOV affected when changing the magnification with different eyepieces?

Feel free to comment and give me feedback - I hope you like the video!
      /Daniel

• By beka
      Hi All,
      I took the following images of Jupiter and Saturn with my CPC 1100 scope and my NexImage planetary imager (old no. 93712 640 x 480 model). Seeing was generally bad with the planet dancing all over the place but there were brief sharp moments. I took about 10000 frames at 15 fps. using oacapture.  When I first tried to stack using AS!3 (AutoStakkert 3) using Wine on Linux, I found that it would not open compressed AVI files so after some Google searches and reading through forums, I found that I could use ffmpeg to convert the AVI file to a series of jpg images. Unfortunately AS!3 crashed when I tried opening maybe 100 or so images, but I later found I could convert the compressed AVI to uncompressed AVI which it opened and stacked (with basically just the default settings and about 25% of the frames) without problems, I deconvoluted with rawtherapee ,and finally used the unsharp mask of Gimp a little. While I am not unhappy with the results I think I could have done better had I used my Bahtinov mask for focusing and initially captured to an uncompressed AVI.
      Thanks for looking!

• By StarGazingSiouxsie
      Hi,
      Now, I know that Cubble likes to keep fit. I try to keep all of my telescopes healthy and feed them only the best planets and DSOs. 
      But - why is that Cubble just LOVES to go all around the houses on some of his GOTOs?! Talk about taking the long way home!!!  I could have sworn that I had 'Cordwrap' set to 'Off'............. 
      I have set Cubs up with a totally cordfree / wire free system and therefore find this going 340 degrees around to an object that is 10 degrees away incredibly annoying and time wasting.  
      Well, I think I may have found the answer today. Some of you may already know this but for those that don't, I hope it helps relieve some of your frustration. 
      What I disovered is that the Star Sense hand controller resets the Cordwrap setting (MENU>>>TELESCOPE>>>CORDWRAP) back to 'ON' each time a new alignment is completed. So, one can spend time seemingly making sure that it is set to 'OFF' (if that's the setting you want, of course) only to find that once you have completed an alignment, the hand controller defaults the Cordwrap setting back to 'ON'.
      So, if you don't want or need Cordwrap set to 'ON', make sure you change the setting after completing each new alignment.

Siouxsie 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.