Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 150P with barlow and QHY5 II

Hi All

I am new to astronomy.

I bought a skywatcher 150P with some different eye pieces as well as a barlow X2 lens and a QHY5 II the info I am struggling to find is how the QHY5 II connects to the telescope.

The magnification is achieved using the eye pieces however it seems that the QHY5 II only connects direct to the barlow lens am I missing something here?

The  QHY5 II has a bare cmos sensor so surely it needs a lens in front of it?

I tried to hook it up to the barlow lens only and tried to use the software EXplanetory (came with the camera)

Any tips on what I need to do?

I plan on making short videos to utilize the stacking software thats out there

thanks in advance

The camrea should have been supplied with a suitable nosepiece which screws into the front of the camera to connect the camera to the barlow or telescope. The camera doesn't require an extra lens or eyepiece in front of it because the telescope itself acts as a long focal length telephoto lens.

funny enough I was  looking for a similar thing, I bought the qhy5 and the mini guide scope ( all works great on the guide scope). Yesterday I thought why not try the cam on my eq 80, but cant see how it works, there are two plastic screw ins (extenders I think) , anyway I slotted the camera to the back of the scope but couldnt acheive focus, and none of the threads fit so I will look into it a bit further im probably missing something

3 hours ago, brrttpaul said:

funny enough I was  looking for a similar thing, I bought the qhy5 and the mini guide scope ( all works great on the guide scope). Yesterday I thought why not try the cam on my eq 80, but cant see how it works, there are two plastic screw ins (extenders I think) , anyway I slotted the camera to the back of the scope but couldnt acheive focus, and none of the threads fit so I will look into it a bit further im probably missing something

You will probably need an extension tube to reach focus. Try inserting the camera into the diagonal and see if you can reach focus. If you can reach focus with the diagonal but not without it then you will need an extension tube.

Archived