SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51 - 2nd attempt at multiple nights

I'm really starting to see the benefit of multiple nights exosures now - I'm really happy with this. I feel like im beginning to get the hang of processing more now but the more i do, the more it seems like the data is the most important. I dont feel like i've processed this a huge amount as the data was already there. This is my 1st time posting in the grown ups section s please be nice!

Taken with my ED80, 53 lights take over 2 nights, ISO1600 @ 5 mins each. No darks but dithered and 40 Bias with 25 flats. I also cropped it a fair bit as i prefer the larger image. Any criticism appreciated as always.

M51 2 nights.jpg

Nice entry in adulthood ;-)

It definitely pays to collect more data, doesn't it?

The image seems a bit on the purple side, or is it the screen of my phone that is off?

Nice image! It does appear to have magenta bias but this is simple to fix with the colour balance tool in PS. I'm hoping to return to a dso (ngc 7822) tonight for the first time. I've left the mount as it is, parked it and saved the co-ordinates to the handset so with any luck, i could up and running very quickly with just a focus check. Fingers crossed!

That's a good image as others have said a bit on the purple side. I've posted my image so you can see the colour to try & aim for. It would be good to produce a starmask so you can enhance the star colours without affecting the saturation of the galaxy.

Small-M51-FINISHED---LRGB-color.png

A very gentle deconvolution might be able to bring out more details in the arms as well. I think we just need good seeing & transparent skies for galaxy imaging. The very wide field dilutes this target so perhaps a crop unless you want the masses of stars which is down to personal choice.

Clear skies to you all. PS- I read a note in the Atik good starguide that galaxies should not be blue...but I like a bit of blue & have some in my version of M51

Archived