Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD + GPS

SteveL

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have thought so...

I did a search on the Android market place gor GPS and looked throuhg each one to see if there was one which alloed the phone to be used as a GPS receiver.

the one I got is called:- SolidSync Bluetooth GPS by company called ideaSynthesis LLC..csot $1.99

Roy

Maybe a drain on the laptop,,,,but its linked anyway so that I can use stellarium of CDC and make the mount full GoTo so power is not really an issue

but you only need the gps location once per session assuming you move around between sessions. If you know where you're going google maps will give a location that is more than accurate enough for most use. Why waste valuable usb bandwidth?

I too have been using one of these, for about 1.5 years... VERY reliable for location (although the altitude seems to wander somewhat!)

Works beautifully with EQMOD

Recommended in my books...

Phil

Mine is a bit wayward on altitude too.... 11 mtrs below sea level - GULP :). I'm only a mile from the coast:confused:

For the most part I either use my Tom Tom which can show the position in either format or my Blackberry. There is a website called earthtools which is pretty good and gives you your altitude above sea level.

I'm about 5 miles from the Thames Estuary and am sitting at 50m so I think I'll be ok should the Montgomery decide to go bang.....

but you only need the gps location once per session assuming you move around between sessions. If you know where you're going google maps will give a location that is more than accurate enough for most use. Why waste valuable usb bandwidth?

Don't fret over USB bandwidth. You can always unplug the GPS once you've finished with it!

Note that in addition to site location EQMOD also uses the GPS data to get an accurate time.

Chris.

I too have been using one of these, for about 1.5 years... VERY reliable for location (although the altitude seems to wander somewhat!)

Works beautifully with EQMOD

Recommended in my books...

Phil

I've one of these from maplins too, but have never managed to get it working with EQMOD. I'm not too fussed as I just note the coords down and type them in manually, but if you have any tips it would be nice to get it working as intended.

Ta.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Had all sorts of problems with nd-100s from marlins on a win 8 machine. After trying all com ports, different apps, baud rate setting (app did not even install) an more I installed gps gate. 30 seconds later eqmod and alignmaster working. Might cost £20 after trial, not sure yet but worth it to share d vice and get rid of all the stress. Hope someone else finds info useful.

Paddy

Had all sorts of problems with nd-100s from marlins on a win 8 machine. After trying all com ports, different apps, baud rate setting (app did not even install) an more I installed gps gate. 30 seconds later eqmod and alignmaster working. Might cost £20 after trial, not sure yet but worth it to share d vice and get rid of all the stress. Hope someone else finds info useful.

Paddy

Sorry about typo's - predictive text!

Archived