Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD + GPS

SteveL

As a complete techie, I love gadgets. You may have noticed that :grin:

Anyway, while *STILL* waiting for a clear sky to get a proper night out with my EQ6/C11 kit, I have been playing with EQMOD a lot, and was curious about the GPS option for setting date/time/location.

EQMOD requires a GPS unit that spits out NMEA format from a COM port, so I did some digging on eBay and found this:

(Click on the image to go to the eBay item itself)

20080624_eqmod_gps02.jpg

(£35 + £7 shipping)

It arrived quickly, well packaged, complete with Haicom driver CD, small Haicom manual, a small rubber sucker to keep the cable tidy if required, and the Haicom GPS unit itself.

NOTE: The base of this GPS unit is actually a strong magnet with a rubber covering. I assume this is so that it can be stuck to the top of a car or other such item. Sticking it ANYWHERE near you laptop could cause serious and permenant damage to your laptop and/or hard drive.

You plug the unit in via a USB port, and the system will detect new hardware and request the drivers from the CD. The drivers are actually just Prolific USB to Serial drivers, which my system already has installed, so I did not have to install anything.

The CD also contains a small application called "Haicom Viewer" that shows the GPS output. Select the COM port that the GPS is connect as, select 4800 baud, select the view tab, and this popped up:

20080624_eqmod_gps03.gif

Now, the moment of truth with EQMOD. Fire up EQMOD via a planetarium application, click on the "setup" button to expand the view, select the GPS button in the Site Information section. Select correct COM port and settings and BINGO

20080624_eqmod_gps01.gif

Checking the supplied location against Google Earth nails my position accurately.

The sharper eyed members will have noticed that large difference in altitude between the two images. This is almost certainly due to me testing this from INSIDE my company building. Yes, i`m getting a fix from inside a building!

I just thought i`d share this with you, in case you were interested. I am not the eBay seller by the way, just a happy customer.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

Should do Earl, as long as it can output NMEA which that ones says it can, my old Garmin Emap GPS works with EQmod too as that outputs to NMEA.

Handy if you are prone to setting up away from home at different locations and syncing the time of your computer against the satellite time for more accurate go to.

Edit: Doh had to answer the phone before I hit the send message button, wot Steve said.

Altho its a use once toy if you have a permanent setup

Not necessarily - the GPS provides an accurate time as well as location. So if you don't have internet access to keep your PC's clock synchronized, EQASCOM can use the GPS time to determine any correction that need to be applied.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Unit has arrived from china, and installs as a mouse.......

The cursor dances all over the screen.

Im trying to get technical support from them, they sent me a link to "latest Drivers" but the same issue :)

Thats not good, can you uninstall it all again and let Windows connect to the net and have a look?

Been looking into going GPS, I was just entering the data manually from my Tom Tom but it would be nice to have a one that works with EQMOD.

I don't know if this is any use but I have linked ASCOM / EQMOD...on my laptop via the GPS in my HTC legend...

I use bluetooth to connect to the laptop as a generic comms service Com6, 9600 etc and then setup EQMOD via the GPS tab and it has downloaded the service.

Roy

Archived