SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Antares region

hjw

Hi all,

I started a project some time ago to do a mosaic of the milky way. And while I am not ready to show results for a long time to come I did a panel yesterday from the Antares region. I thought it would be cool to have this area with Mars and Saturn in the frame. In hindsight, bright planets and faint dust clouds do not mix very well. However, this is my first attempt of this part of the sky and I am quite happy with it.

Pentax K30 with DA 50mm f/1.8 lens on a HEQ5 mount (the camera looks somewhat lost on the mount :) ) stepped down to f/3.2. 23 x 180sec at ISO400.

Antares reduced.jpg

Thanks for looking and clear skies!

HJ

Thanks everyone!

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Beautiful. What a region, too!

On my screen the greens might be a tad high, robbing the image of a golden warmth the target sometimes shows, but that's a detail.

Olly

I have noticed the green but when I try to remove it, the rest becomes too purple. The stars already have a purple shade. I think I have to start learning more about processing. I have little improvements but they are slow coming :(

56 minutes ago, ultranova said:

A very nice wide field of this area

I cant wait to see the mosaic :)

well done

Paul

The mosaic is a while off. This was my fifth panel. I started at Carina and am working my way past Sagittarius. I have already noticed gaps and misalignments so it will be a few further months if the weather plays along (we are going into winter here) or even next year... And it's my first attempt to do a mosaic.

Thanks again and clear skies!

HJ

Archived