SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

some images from the 4th and 5th May

Seeing has been somewhat calmer lately, have a bit to go through. Struggled to get the 300p to work smoothly, I have play on my NEQ6, At one point Jupiter started sailing off by itself  I kid you not. Set the weights off balance to try and counteract the play. And the weight makes tracking race in one direction. what with the wind,  its been a real challenge. But calmer air is worth the hassles. Think this may be my last outing, its getting a real challenge on Jupiter. Gathered a lot of data recently. So can process away when its gone. Haven't had time to do many colour Jupiter's yet. But seems to be some reasonable reds in my data.

All images SW 300p DMK618 Which is a pain having to use, when there's better around. But I will switch to something better soon I hope.

4th may.png

mars uk 16 degrees 5th May.png

video0006 sat.png

Those images of Mars and Saturn are actually pretty solid for 20 deg alt, I can see Sinus Sabaeus arm clearly.  Saturn does not have much to offer - no storms, so your not missing much.

Would you consider an Atmos Dispersion Corrector worthwhile?

John.

Hi John using mono, its the blue that will benefit the most from a ADC.

Colour I would say, would definitely benefit, seen tests that prove this so. But your in mono, so I suppose it depends how much you want to tighten that blue. It does seem worthwhile. When we are all trying to squeeze ever more resolution, from our setups.

What's your thoughts ?

Btw should have said it was 16 degrees and falling. Not nice down there

30 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Hi John using mono, its the blue that will benefit the most from a ADC.

Colour I would say, would definitely benefit, seen tests that prove this so. But your in mono, so I suppose it depends how much you want to tighten that blue. It does seem worthwhile. When we are all trying to squeeze ever more resolution, from our setups.

What's your thoughts ?

Btw should have said it was 16 degrees and falling. Not nice down there

Hi Neil

A good effort both mars & Saturn showing some detail even at this low elevation, with good seeing its possible I think to get at least some half good images, especially looking at that mars shot Neil!

As you know ive been using an adc but found it very awkward to calibrate in below par seeing, a must for colour cams, not sure it brings much to the game for us mono guys as rgb filters out a lot of the dispersion anyway!

Yes Neil osc ccds need more help but Chris Go uses one even at 60 degrees blue deviates  0.5 arcsecs from the advertised chart.  It seems a bit too much fuss for a tiny gain to me and only in the blue.  Image comparisons seem very similar for mono with/without, you really have to stare at them to see any difference at all.

Regards, John.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Yes Neil osc ccds need more help but Chris Go uses one even at 60 degrees blue deviates  0.5 arcsecs from the advertised chart.  It seems a bit too much fuss for a tiny gain to me and only in the blue.  Image comparisons seem very similar for mono with/without, you really have to stare at them to see any difference at all.

Regards, John.

I think the lower the elevation  the worse the effect on Blue. So next year in the UK, might see a benefit. for you in OZ it might well be  too much hassle, I certainly haven't been rushing to get one, being in mono. I may change my mind, as conditions, and equipment changes though. Will have to see

13 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Nicely captured Neil! As 16 degree alt images go Mars & Saturn are top drawer! Funny how good seeing induces technical glitches. I find my DOB tracks like a dream when seeing is rubbish lol

Aint it just Stuart. I think its nerves kicking in, making things go awol. Made a mistake recently did a RGB run in y800 annoying as the seeing was good.

Wondering if I can combine y800 with colour, should just reduce the colour by half shouldn't it ?

15 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Seeing has been somewhat calmer lately, have a bit to go through. Struggled to get the 300p to work smoothly, I have play on my NEQ6, At one point Jupiter started sailing off by itself  I kid you not. Set the weights off balance to try and counteract the play. And the weight makes tracking race in one direction. what with the wind,  its been a real challenge. But calmer air is worth the hassles. Think this may be my last outing, its getting a real challenge on Jupiter. Gathered a lot of data recently. So can process away when its gone. Haven't had time to do many colour Jupiter's yet. But seems to be some reasonable reds in my data.

All images SW 300p DMK618 Which is a pain having to use, when there's better around. But I will switch to something better soon I hope.

4th may.png

mars uk 16 degrees 5th May.png

video0006 sat.png

mars and Saturn are very low in the south so well done on getting the images!!

SEB

Archived