Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing sites around Leytonstone

Hey guys,

I've just rejoined the hobby and I'd like to explore some good observing sites around the Leytonstone or Leyton area. 

There are some caveats:

I'd like it to be a safe place where I can go on my own. I know the best suggestion is to join a club. I'll do that. But I'm a loner and can't bother people to come with me all the time. 

I know there are better skies elsewhere, but I need suggestions that would allow me to visit several times a month.

I don't own a car so going far away is not possible. 

Finally, how safe is Epping Forest around Leytonstone at night? I asked the local police department and they made some suggestions on observing (look for good skies, keep warm) but they did not address the security question!

Thanks for your help. 

Read this yesterday and after looking at a map I couldn't come up with anything other then the one you mentioned.

I assume that the underground/train is the only realistic option and that will drop you in built up locations, North Weald looked an option, just no idea when return trains stop, likely earlyish.

With a few changes there is a train that heads to Broxbourne. The line runs next to the Lee Valley and that is reasonable. The best area in there is the East side over where the Fishers Green Sailing club is - a very suitable car park (two) over there. Just too far to walk with a scope. Not sure about the area just south at the King Georges Reservoirs. The station at Cheshunt is likely the best idea as that is right next to the Lee Valley and a sort walk (25 yards across the tracks) and you are in it. Off to the immediate left could be fair.

There is/was a small group of SGL people trying to semi organise themselves into arranging observing that were based around Enfield, they may have better ideas.

What is the scope etc that will be transported ?

Thanks for your help guys.

I have a Celestron 130SLT and a 12x50 Nikon Action Ex binoculars. Both fairly transportable. 

All those suggestions sound great. I'm also thinking about renting a car on the weekends and going further afield. The reason I'm suggesting Epping Forrest is because it is just a few blocks from my home. I've recently moved here and I am not sure if it is a safe place to use expensive equipment. If it were safe enough I could pop out every clear day or so without having to plan a journey, get on a train, etc. I'm not looking for a super dark sky. I'm looking for a safe space with no obstructions near where I leave. Maybe I'll take my bins some evenings and see how it goes. 

At the moment I'm observing from a garden I share with neighbors, fighting off foxes all night. 

22 hours ago, Sonny Bonds said:

Thanks for your help guys.

I have a Celestron 130SLT and a 12x50 Nikon Action Ex binoculars. Both fairly transportable. 

All those suggestions sound great. I'm also thinking about renting a car on the weekends and going further afield. The reason I'm suggesting Epping Forrest is because it is just a few blocks from my home. I've recently moved here and I am not sure if it is a safe place to use expensive equipment. If it were safe enough I could pop out every clear day or so without having to plan a journey, get on a train, etc. I'm not looking for a super dark sky. I'm looking for a safe space with no obstructions near where I leave. Maybe I'll take my bins some evenings and see how it goes. 

At the moment I'm observing from a garden I share with neighbors, fighting off foxes all night. 

Renting a car sounds like a good idea but  I wouldn't imagine you would be taking a car every time you observe. What about wanstead park? That doesnt look too far away. Have you also got a suitable case for it? If not try geoptik, they are the best in cases : http://www.f1telescopes.co.uk/product-category/accessories-by-brand/geoptik-astronomy-accessories/geoptik-carry-cases/

I used to live in Wallwood road in leytonstone and although my outlook was pretty well over the underground station still got  some decent observing in.  As to Wanstead flats and the hollow ponds you might be chancing your luck a bit, maybe across the road from the Sherlock holmes pub is a possibility.

Archived