SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group Star Party Sep/Oct 2016

Freff

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone I might not be able to make it for the full week this year due to coming off the agency & being taken on full time with my new job which has messed up my holiday entitlement etc, plus I'll be going from weekly to monthly pay which doesn't help matters either. I still hope to make it for the weekend at the very least but I won't know anything more until the end of August.

A brief update......

mickD                            Pitch  4                  29th – 1st

freff                               Pitch 12                  26th – 2nd

tich                                Pitch 29                  ?

easwing                        Pitch  26                  30th - 1st

faulksy                          Pitch  27                  29th - 1st

swampthing                  Pitch  28                  29th - 1st

bats                               Pitch   5                  30th – 1st

astrojoe                         Pitch   9                  30th – 1st

reddross                        Pitch 13                  29th - 1st

mapstar                         Pitch  32                  29th – 2nd            

bobxuk                          Pitch  15                  29th – 2nd

l8-nite                            Pitch    6                   29th - 1st              

pig                                   Pitch      8                 29th - 1st

lee_b                               Pitch     11               30th - 1st

astrostroll                        Pitch     25               30th - 2nd

Further info can be found here.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely not long to go now chaps unfortunately its looking very unlikely I can make it for the week as usual, the weekend may be a possibility, hopefully I should know more in a few days.

Sooo I've finally got my contract & my fears have been answered, there's no way I can make the full week this time but I will make it for the main weekend at least & come down on the Friday. I might work a few extra hours so I can get away earlier on the Friday so at least i can be with you sooner. Sorry about this but there's nothing I can do about it.
GUTTED!!

Good news about the job though Tich - congratulations - from my memory you are the most attended S Wales star party guy up until this year- I think Dave is the only one who will have spent more time in Brecon than yourself over the last 4 years   :0)

19 minutes ago, Astralstroll said:

It's my first time and am looking forward to it. Just have to decide which scope to bring along now.

Dave.

From your footnote:

Celestron 20 x 80 Skymaster binoculars, Meade Lightbridge 10"

I would bring both. But you are probably behind on registering a new scope?

5 hours ago, stevetynant said:

Good news about the job though Tich - congratulations - from my memory you are the most attended S Wales star party guy up until this year- I think Dave is the only one who will have spent more time in Brecon than yourself over the last 4 years   :0)

Tich is a stalwart member of SWAG, and records show he has by far the most nights at Pencelli than anyone. Steve, if you mean Dave (Mr Fibble), he missed last year because of other commitments and I believe is going to Kelling this year. If Lenny doesn't attend this year, (he has not booked yet) then Tich will be the only original group member attending this year.  

One week to go, :coffee: and I'm slowly getting ready. 

Hope you are right about a dry Autumn Steve, my optimism has been fading for awhile now, however, I'm still seeing the glass as being half full rather than half empty.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone at the Star Party.  :smiley:

I think my spring has sprung already. Started with priorities yesterday.......

1.) Pack the Chili.

2.) Check that the Dob Mob will be down wind.

3.) Make sure I have a sleeping bag, as my wife will lock me out of the caravan.

4.) Some sort of optical thingy to look through ?  :icon_scratch:

14 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

I think my spring has sprung already. Started with priorities yesterday.......

1.) Pack the Chili.

2.) Check that the Dob Mob will be down wind.

3.) Make sure I have a sleeping bag, as my wife will lock me out of the caravan.

4.) Some sort of optical thingy to look through ?  :icon_scratch:

5 Industrial headphones if your anywhere near Tony's tent...... scarred for life I've been lol

Afternoon everyone bad news I'm afraid as it's looking unlikely that I'm going to make it down this year due to the rear radius arm bearing going on my car so it's booked in for a repair next week. If & it's a big IF it's ready next Friday I may pop down for the weekend at the very least but I can't promise anything.
I'll ring the campsite to let them know & I'll keep you all posted as to what's going on.
I'm really gutted about it but with my luck after being down there in the past like with brake pad liners disappearing, bottom pulley disintegrating & last years blow out I really don't want to tempt fate again!! 

That's a shame Tich, you are not having much luck with your car and trailer of late.

I will be emailing the final bookings list to Gerwyn (owner) tomorrow, there a few dropping out this year for one reason or another.

Don't bust a gut or take any unnecessary risks getting there Tich, there is always next year, maybe March. 

3 hours ago, tich said:

Afternoon everyone bad news I'm afraid as it's looking unlikely that I'm going to make it down this year due to the rear radius arm bearing going on my car so it's booked in for a repair next week. If & it's a big IF it's ready next Friday I may pop down for the weekend at the very least but I can't promise anything.
I'll ring the campsite to let them know & I'll keep you all posted as to what's going on.
I'm really gutted about it but with my luck after being down there in the past like with brake pad liners disappearing, bottom pulley disintegrating & last years blow out I really don't want to tempt fate again!! 

:( 

Archived