Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group Star Party Sep/Oct 2016

Freff

I am pleased to announce that the South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) has arranged our Fifth  Star Party again at the superb Pencelli Castle Caravan & Camping Park. Sited in the Brecon Beacons National Park and Dark Sky Reserve, this location offers some truly dark skies which are excellent for observing and imaging.

The main nights will be Thurs 29th and  Fri 30th September and Sat 1st and Sun 2nd October 2016. The New Moon is on 1st October. The Oaks has been reserved from Monday 26th to Sun 2nd inclusive. Anyone wanting additional nights outside these dates please let me know. 

Unfortunately, due to SGL X12 the date for this event had to be brought forward to avoid a clash. As a result the owner cannot guarantee exclusivity for the Oaks, we may have civvies in our ranks. So book early  and keep the Oak  free. Next year we may have to change to March. We will have to wait and see what others feel.

Pitches and hard standings (about 25) have been reserved for us in the Oaks area. All pitches have EHU and have the least obstructed views of the night sky. If bookings exceed the pitches on the Oaks, there is the Meadows area that can be used for tents only and has no EHU. This area also offers excellent views.  The Meadows cannot be booked until the Oaks has been filled. This will avoid unfilled pitches on the Oaks being used by the public during the event.

Bookings as last year will be made directly through me. This will avoid any difficulties contacting the camp site wardens or any confusion between their booking list and ours. Payments for your pitch can be paid on arrival at Pencelli Castle.

Please Do Not Contact Pencelli Caravan Park for Bookings. They Will Not Have Our Pitch Allocations And Won’t Know Where To Put You.

When booking please PM me your SGL name and real name for our records/planning. Your real name will be forwarded to the campsite for their registration/booking. Also your preferred pitch if you have one. Pitch allocations will be posted on the forum in your SGL name as they come in.

If you attended last year, then all that’s required is your SGL name and the nights you require with or without EHU.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me either email or PM.

We hope you can make it to the South Wales Group Fifth Star Party and look forward to seeing you.  

Pencelli Castle Information.pdf

Site Plan.pdf

Further info can be found here

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news, thanks Tony. Jill & I will be there.  Thurs, Fri, Sat (with EHU). We have a caravan now  :happy11: so any suitable pitch is OK. (I know... shameful for for an ex biker, but I am getting old). 

A brief update......

mickD                            Pitch  4                  29th – 1st

freff                               Pitch 12                  26th – 2nd

tich                                Pitch 29                  25th – 2nd

easwing                        Pitch  26                  30th - 1st

faulksy                          Pitch  27                  29th - 1st

swampthing                  Pitch  28                  29th - 1st

bats                               Pitch   5                  30th – 1st

astrojoe                         Pitch   9                  30th – 1st

reddross                        Pitch 13                  29th - 1st

to comfirm                     Pitch  10                 29th – 1st                

lennylovit                      Pitch   25                 29th – 1st

mapstar                         Pitch  32                  29th – 2nd            

bobxuk                          Pitch  15                  29th – 2nd

l8-nite                            Pitch    6                   29th - 1st              

andyuk                          Pitch   11                  29th - 1st

Further info can be found here.

• 2 weeks later...

I know  South Wales Astronomy Group Star Party Sep/Oct 2016 is early this year guys, but come on. :icon_biggrin:

Nice outfit both, I guess I know where the tea and biscuits will be served from this year. 

Awning went up remarkably OK, the instructions were a bit lacking so we laid all the poles out (had a beer), put it up wrong (had a beer), took it down (had a beer), put it up again (had a beer), you can see a theme developing here...by the 4th beer we didn't care anymore so it went up and stayed up..

Simples :headbang:

I was going to say next time you're out in it, if it hasn't been done already, take some different coloured electrical tape with you so when you put it up again put tape on the corresponding poles so it makes it easier next time.
My orange & brown awning never had any instructions so I kinda had to make it up as I went along the first time I put it up lol.

Thanks for the heads up Derek. 

I just signed for Newport West...total 2 signatures now, very disappointing.

I never knew the petition was available.  

It seems to be very difficult to get the message out about the petition. All I can ask is that everybody passes it on. I have spent a fair bit time these last few days just emailing. If it works all the better. Thanks.

Derek

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

It seems to be very difficult to get the message out about the petition. All I can ask is that everybody passes it on. I have spent a fair bit time these last few days just emailing. If it works all the better. Thanks.

Derek

It might be a good idea to ask Admin if they could put a notice on the front page. 

• 2 months later...

I have booked pitch 8 for 3 nights (Fri-Sat-Sun).  I have bought a tent which I erected 5 days ago in the garden and let the rain pour down on it to check for any ingress ... all was well and I slept in last night :hello:Very comfy I must say.

I do have one question ...The pitch has electrical hook up and being a novice I was wondering if I need an adapter of some kind to use a 3 pin plug extension ?

I would recommend something like this Shaun, especially if you are going to star parties on a regular basis. 

It's a safe way to supply power to your tent for the essentials such as the kettle, astro gear and a heater.   

Archived