Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group Star Party Sep/Oct 2016

I am pleased to announce that the South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) have arranged our Fifth  Star Party again at the superb   Pencelli Castle Caravan & Camping Park.  Sited in the Brecon Beacons National Park and Dark Sky Reserve, this location offers some truly dark skies which are excellent for observing and imaging.

The main nights will be Thurs 29th and  Fri 30th September and Sat 1st and Sun 2nd October 2016. The New Moon is on 1st October. The Oaks has been reserved from Monday 26th to Sun 2nd inclusive. Anyone wanting additional nights outside these dates please let me know. 

Unfortunately, due to SGL12 the date for this event had to be brought forward to avoid a clash. As a result the owner cannot guarantee exclusivity for the Oaks, we may have civvies in our ranks. So book early  and keep the Oak  free. Next year we may have to change to March. We will have to wait and see what others feel.

Pitches and hard standings (about 25) have been reserved for us in the Oaks area. All pitches have EHU and have the least obstructed views of the night sky. If bookings exceed the pitches on the Oaks, there is the Meadows area that can be used for tents only and has no EHU. This area also offers excellent views.  The Meadows cannot be booked until the Oaks has been filled. This will avoid unfilled pitches on the Oaks being used by the public during the event.

Bookings as last year will be made directly through me. This will avoid any difficulties contacting the camp site wardens or any confusion between their booking list and ours. Payments for your pitch can be paid on arrival at Pencelli Castle.

Please Do Not Contact Pencelli Caravan Park for Bookings. They Will Not Have Our Pitch Allocations And Won’t Know Where To Put You.

When booking please PM me your SGL name and real name for our records/planning. Your real name will be forwarded to the campsite for their registration/booking. Also your preferred pitch if you have one. Pitch allocations will be posted on the forum in your SGL name as they come in.

If you attended last year, then all that’s required is your SGL name and the nights you require with or without EHU.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me either email or PM.

We hope you can make it to the South Wales Group Fifth Star Party and look forward to seeing you.  

Site Plan.pdf

Pencelli Castle Information.pdf

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A brief update......

mickD                            Pitch  4                  29th – 1st

freff                               Pitch 12                  26th – 2nd

tich                                Pitch 29                  25th – 2nd

easwing                        Pitch  26                  30th - 1st

faulksy                          Pitch  27                  29th - 1st

swampthing                  Pitch  28                  29th - 1st

bats                               Pitch   5                  30th – 1st

astrojoe                         Pitch   9                  30th – 1st

reddross                        Pitch 13                  29th - 1st

to comfirm                     Pitch  10                 29th – 1st                

lennylovit                      Pitch   25                 29th – 1st

mapstar                         Pitch  32                  29th – 2nd            

bobxuk                          Pitch  15                  29th – 2nd

l8-nite                            Pitch    6                   29th - 1st              

andyuk                          Pitch   11                  29th - 1st

bish                                 Pitch    24                 29th - 1st

Further info can be found here.

27 minutes ago, obrazell said:

hm pity it conflicts with Kelling star party.

Owen

Unfortunately Owen,  the event had to be brought forward because SGL12 is now on the dates we would normally have ours.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, are there any spaces left for this? I am working away this weekend and need to check in with the wife (make sure she hasn't got plans for us as she tends to book things up without telling me!), but am interested if there are still places available. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Freff said:

Hi Bish, there are a few places left. Are you going to need pitch for tent or caravan, and how many nights. Cheers.

Thanks. I would need a tent pitch for 3 nights.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A brief update......

mickD                            Pitch  4                  29th – 1st

freff                               Pitch 12                  26th – 2nd

tich                                Pitch 29                  25th – 2nd

easwing                        Pitch  26                  30th - 1st

faulksy                          Pitch  27                  29th - 1st

swampthing                  Pitch  28                  29th - 1st

bats                               Pitch   5                  30th – 1st

astrojoe                         Pitch   9                  30th – 1st

reddross                        Pitch 13                  29th - 1st

to comfirm                     Pitch  10                 29th – 1st                

lennylovit                      Pitch   25                 29th – 1st

mapstar                         Pitch  32                  29th – 2nd            

bobxuk                          Pitch  15                  29th – 2nd

l8-nite                            Pitch    6                   29th - 1st              

andyuk                          Pitch   11                  29th - 1st

pig                                   Pitch      8                 29th - 1st

lee_b                               Pitch     31               30th - 1st

41 minutes ago, estwing said:

dont need a bigger torch....we've got a bigger scope!

Hopefully my scope will be venturing out of the car too. Maybe a small torch but a  bigger tin of beans! 

6 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Hopefully my scope will be venturing out of the car too. Maybe a small torch but a  bigger tin of beans! 

last year damien, me and calv were bored so we stuck this big torch down the end of my 14" and it was honestly like the bat symbol, i think everyone laughed, im sure you can guess about the beans 

Archived