SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AR12542 - iPhone special ?

Stu

Sun is looking very nice this morning. These are single shots through one channel of the Binoviewer showing the new AR12542 (which apparently is a revisit of an older AR)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Lovely images Stu. Not much chance here. The Sun is somewhere behind that cloud.

image.jpeg

? You are not lucky with the weather are you John? A few gaps though, so maybe a quick view today at some point?

Stu, are you holding your Iphone to the EP by hand, or do you have a gizmo to hold the iPhone in the right place? I can get a shot of the whole sun, but can't hold it steady or in the right place if I zoom in any with my Iphone. :( 

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

Stu, are you holding your Iphone to the EP by hand, or do you have a gizmo to hold the iPhone in the right place? I can get a shot of the whole sun, but can't hold it steady or in the right place if I zoom in any with my Iphone. :( 

I do have a mounting bracket for the 6 Plus but find it difficult to use so these were hand held at the eyepiece. I never bother zooming with the phone because it does not gain you any real additional data, it's just a digital zoom. Best thing is to up the mag via a shorter focal length eyepiece. Depending upon the eye relief, you sometimes have to hold the phone away from the exit lens a little to get correctly positioned on the exit pupil, the view can open up substantially if you do this. I try to shield the eyepiece too to stop glare getting between phone and eyepiece and this helps contrast a lot.

Focusing is tricky, if you wear glasses, make sure you wear them to focus the scope as this will then be correct for the camera. I use an app called ProCam 3 on the iPhone which gives better control of the exposure and focus etc, and I 'process' them using PS Express which is basically a simple PhotoShop version for the iPhone.

Oh, and take plenty of pictures, discard the bad ones and crop the best bits out of the good ones ??. This is an example of before and after processing....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Thanks Stu. All is not lost then! I'll have a few more stabs at after processing to see if I can tease out the sun spots better. Cheers! :) 

Certainly not lost at all! Keep trying and you will get something good. Did you see my Jupiter picture? Quite proud of that one, it's got a moon shadow and everything! ??

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lowjiber said:

Nice iPhone shot.  Believe it, or not, I had a dream about a binoviewer last night, and I've never even seen one. LOL

Here you go, more dreams await you ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived