SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wadas forum

WADAS

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beats mine from this afternoon - these were thru the 60mm refractor with shabby eyepieces, focally via iPhone... new cameras should arrive tomorrow.

On the plus side, have now removed aforementioned 60mm and strapped the 114eq to it - managed to stay locked on to Mr Sun for 4 hours - moved onto the moon now...

13241359_10154234780706757_1677940207722736866_n.jpg

13240020_10154234780486757_1499472555315827456_n.jpg

13239403_10154234780576757_7978257540286857718_n.jpg

Great images guys :)   Id like to try the mono camera on the sun some time when ive got a solar filter, or might try it on the clubs solar scope if I get the chance to borrow it at some point. See what I can do with it using a proper camera and not my old webcam this time.

Seems Celestron didn't see fit to use captive nuts on the inside of the LCM60... there's some rattling going on in there now I've taken the dovetail off. They're gonna be fun to retrieve and get back on again... *Bottom*

10 minutes ago, mapstar said:

The weather is actually looking quite conducive to a bit of scoping tonight

It sure does. Are you heading out anywhere? Unfortunately, I have got A-levels to help Sophie study for as she has got 4 exams this week. Might try an hour in the back yard later when we're done (if it ever gets dark) :)

HOLY CRAP WE'RE LOOKING AT JUPITER!!! 3 moons visible, 2x bands... taking a 4mm lens + a 3x Barlow so it bounces everywhere if you breath near the focuser... but WOOOOOWWW!!!

1 hour ago, Vicky050373 said:

It sure does. Are you heading out anywhere? Unfortunately, I have got A-levels to help Sophie study for as she has got 4 exams this week. Might try an hour in the back yard later when we're done (if it ever gets dark) :)

Not tonight Ursula I'm on Morning shift tomorrow so up at just before 5. If it was tomorrow I might have but the DLB is well up

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Not tonight Ursula I'm on Morning shift tomorrow so up at just before 5. If it was tomorrow I might have but the DLB is well up

Quite a lot of cloud about over my way. Can see the moon and Jupiter through the fanlight window over the front door. Been busy helping Sophie study. We've gone through most of her coursework over the last couple of weeks. Was tempted to have 10 minutes with the binos, but I'm shattered. Earlies at work this week for me, plus full days most days. Got 2 astro meetings this week, and neither will be early nights LOL. Glass empty. Hitting the hay. Night peoples :)

1 hour ago, Marci said:

HOLY CRAP WE'RE LOOKING AT JUPITER!!! 3 moons visible, 2x bands... taking a 4mm lens + a 3x Barlow so it bounces everywhere if you breath near the focuser... but WOOOOOWWW!!!

Great result spending some time viewing Jupiter. You might be pushing it a bit using the 3 x Barlow with a 4mm EP. What FL is your scope? When I use my little 900mm frac I find my 8mm BST EP with a 2 x Barlow gives a nice view of the bands and moons. I could even see the GRS too. Really tempted to go out and have 10 minutes, but I'm too tired. Really should be good and head to bed. Just hate missing the opportunity a bit of clear sky offers :)

7 hours ago, astrotyke said:

what time did you go out vicky. I noticed that the GRS had gone by 7:30pm tonight and i dont think its back till about 3am 

I didn't go out in the end last last. Was so tired. Looking at that beautiful blue sky this morning I wish I wasn't at work all day again. Would love another go at that big sunspot, but I'll just have to see if I get time later this afternoon :)

10 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Great result spending some time viewing Jupiter. You might be pushing it a bit using the 3 x Barlow with a 4mm EP. What FL is your scope? When I use my little 900mm frac I find my 8mm BST EP with a 2 x Barlow gives a nice view of the bands and moons. I could even see the GRS too. 

Yep, definitely... sadly s'all we have access to. Drastically need to improve our range of options for EPs and Barlows. 

• The 114EQ (F=900mm) came with a 3x Barlow (!), a 4mm eyepiece and 20mm erecting eyepiece.
  • The 76LCM (F=700mm) came with an erecting 90deg angle, 9mm eyepiece and 25mm eyepiece.

All Kellner. Still trying to decide what EPs etc are worth getting - e.g.: are the 8-24mm variable zoom eyepieces worth it, or a gimmick... and how much is it worth investing in EPs when we're ultimately working with a budget OTA (and just a tight budget in general!)

Ooh, nice filter set there Damian :)

Marc - with regards to EPs, I have never tried a zoom EP, however I have heard mixed reviews and for me personally I don't think I'll go down that route. I have got a couple of BST Exploder Starguider EPs (8mm and 18mm) and a Celestron X-Cel LX 2 x Barlow. In my opinion, for under £50 brand new and around £30 second hand (when they come up) you cannot beat the BSTs. Lovely lightweight little EPs and very comfortable to use. I am hoping to invest in a couple more (5mm and 12mm) in the near future. I have a nice wide angle 32mm EP but it is a 2" fitting not 1.25". The Celestron XL EPs cone highly recommended (Neil @gtis has these and I'm sure he'll recommend them). They are reasonably priced too at around £70 each I believe. Moving up, you have the Hyperions etc and Mark has the Morpheus range at around £180 each. Then you have the "big guns" with the TeleVue range and the top-dog Ethos (Damian and Gain owning a selection of those) coming in at over £400 each. If I ever won the lottery....... *brief daydream in green and black* Have a chat with some of the members on here. I always say to try EPs for yourself though, as they are a very personal thing. What suits one person may not suit another. For example, I did not get on with the Hyperions and had trouble with "kidney beaning". My next spare cash for EPs will be spent on the BSTs for sure :)

I love my Hyperions nice wide field and very clear. If you come out one night you are welcome to have a play with them. 

Nice filters Damian they should work a treat with the scope ??

with a budget scope i would recommend a budget eye piece - you wont go far wrong with a BST and they really are very good for their money. I used them initially in my 12" dobsonian and they were still pretty damn good!

got slightly more expensive glass now, but that in no way implies the BSTs werent good!

3 minutes ago, nicks90 said:

with a budget scope i would recommend a budget eye piece - you wont go far wrong with a BST and they really are very good for their money. I used them initially in my 12" dobsonian and they were still pretty damn good!

got slightly more expensive glass now, but that in no way implies the BSTs werent good!

I'll third Nick and Ursula's comments

BST's are one of the most comfortable eyepieces I've ever owned. For the cash they are a bargain and I had the 25,15, 8 and 5mm versions.

There are a few rebranded versions about! orion optics cheekily did one at twice the price! Below

orioned2.jpg

Buy from skies the limit ont bay or second hand. Super 

Archived