Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wadas forum

WADAS

Never got set up last night. The sky had become very hazy with high cloud and I coudn't even find Mars or Saturn! Called it a night and went to bed.

Did anyone have any clear skies to do any planetary observations?

Very quick one of The Sun this morning showing AR2546, which would quite comfortably swallow the Earth whole, with room to spare!
Taken using Canon 100D on Celestron 80mm refractor using Baader visual quality ND5.0 safety film.
The sky is very milky this morning with lots of hazy high cloud, so may not bother getting out the big rig to do any more solar imaging.

The Sun & AR2546 24.05.2016.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/05/2016 at 08:00, mapstar said:

Also booked in for the South Wales star party from the 29th september till 2nd Oct. Thought I'd give it a go 

You'll be away the same time I'm in Kelling Heath. Really looking forward to it. Hope we get some clear skies :)

7 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

You'll be away the same time I'm in Kelling Heath. Really looking forward to it. Hope we get some clear skies :)

Yes it does clash with Kelling as it's mentioned on the thread. 

Went in search of clear skies last night along with my observing buddy Tony.

Finally landed at Fairburn RSPB at 10.30 and enjoyed a clear night observing Saturn and Mars. Returned home for the 3.30am twilight.

Trying to process a couple of images from the night but with the planets flying at a tree top hugging 14 degrees. The seeing was pretty unstable. The phrase, 'You can't polish a T***' comes to mind. Still it was fun doing the do.

38 minutes ago, MattGoo said:

CFTI Gain! I'm only a few mins from Fairburn...

Good image scale, but the wobbly seeing probably precluded more crisp detail coming through?

Should have called you out Matt....

yeah...rule one..never image planets when they're below 50 degrees in the sky, unless you have nothing better to do!

2 hours ago, MattGoo said:

They can help remove the colour fringing but not undo the natural blurring due to high air mass at low viewing elevations. High resolution astrophotography is heavily dependent on atmospheric conditions. The less air the light travels through the better and living on or near the Pennines only compounds the issue by causing more distortion adding turbulence. Of course, living in the northern latitudes usually means the ecliptic is mostly low in the sky therefore sharp planetary images are fairly hard to come by....

My experience  in these parts rarely has skies capable of pushing a quality 10inch scope to the limit whereas skies in parts of Florida frequently  use all the resolving power a 16 inch scope has to offer.

Good optics and accessories help but ideal atmospheric seeing condition is KING. Nevertheless, this should not get in the way of some good observing experience and the chance to make another observation.

6 hours ago, cosmicbug said:

Went in search of clear skies last night along with my observing buddy Tony.

Finally landed at Fairburn RSPB at 10.30 and enjoyed a clear night observing Saturn and Mars. Returned home for the 3.30am twilight.

Trying to process a couple of images from the night but with the planets flying at a tree top hugging 14 degrees. The seeing was pretty unstable. The phrase, 'You can't polish a T***' comes to mind. Still it was fun doing the do.

what were the skies like out there,  I was camping just up the road at Monk Fryston during the Tour de Yorkshire last month and thought it might be alright for an observing site,  am planning on asking the owners of the site, a farmers field if they would mind it being used.

1 hour ago, hazegood said:

what were the skies like out there,  I was camping just up the road at Monk Fryston during the Tour de Yorkshire last month and thought it might be alright for an observing site,  am planning on asking the owners of the site, a farmers field if they would mind it being used.

Hey Leigh,

the viewing location was great but not very dark if that is what you're looking for. Better than a town centre location but not dark compared to the Dales

13 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Did anyone have any clear skies to do any planetary observations?

Hi All,

Got some good views of Jupiter but struggled to get much more than a wobbly red blob with Mars. It then got slightly misty as evidenced by the neighbours artificial sun of a security light ( I think he needs it to keep rouge hedgehogs at bay). Everything then got covered in dew and it clouded over. Gave up and went to bed at this point!!

16 minutes ago, rich6626 said:

Hi All,

Got some good views of Jupiter but struggled to get much more than a wobbly red blob with Mars. It then got slightly misty as evidenced by the neighbours artificial sun of a security light ( I think he needs it to keep rouge hedgehogs at bay). Everything then got covered in dew and it clouded over. Gave up and went to bed at this point!!

Well done Rich. Great little outing by the sounds of it.

On the security light, Make sure you check out the light pollution petition in the lounge. The decision is yours  

I bought another scope today, only a small one and number 4 at home, managed to get it past the wife lol. pickling up saturday so i hope i havnt [removed word] the cloud gods off lol p.s its a cloudy forecast anyway so its not my fault ok

53 minutes ago, mapstar said:

On the security light, Make sure you check out the light pollution petition in the lounge. The decision is yours  

Already signed and circulated!! 

On the subject of light pollution. Is it worth getting a general light pollution filter? Or are the specific filters more useful?

Archived