Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow !!!

John

Lovely night here - best for ages for DSO's :icon_biggrin:

I've been using the 12" dob, cruising around Hercules, Bootes, Canes Venatici and Lyra picking off old favourites and a few new finds. 

Highlight of my night has been using the 4.7mm Ethos on the great Hercules globular clusters M13 and M92. These objects really fill the field of view at 338x and are resolved deep into their cores. They take on a 3-dimensional appearance hanging in space in front of your eye - like you could reach out and grab a handful of stars !. Absolutely wonderful views :grin:

Sounds fantastic John :happy6: I thought we might be in for good clear night and my intentions were to get some viewing in but unfortunately I fell asleep about 8 O'clock and as a result I missed it all !!!! I do need to buy myself a Dob.

Sounds like you had a great time John and that the 4.7mm is coming into it's own, still feel it will be too much on most of my scopes and the ones where it will come into play just seem to collect dust. I only need to stand them outside for a few minutes though to have them washed clean, not that it would do them any good. I want to spend some time on that part of the sky myself as it is getting up above the trees and part of the house earlier now.

Alan

5 hours ago, alan potts said:

Sounds like you had a great time John and that the 4.7mm is coming into it's own, still feel it will be too much on most of my scopes and the ones where it will come into play just seem to collect dust. I only need to stand them outside for a few minutes though to have them washed clean, not that it would do them any good. I want to spend some time on that part of the sky myself as it is getting up above the trees and part of the house earlier now.

Alan

The E4.7 is too much for Jupiter with my 12" dob but I'm hoping that Mars and Saturn will benefit although seeing where they were in relation to my horizon before I turned in last night, I think I'm going to need to put the dob on the roof to get any views of them !

Generally I use the 8mm and maybe the 6mm Ethos for globulars but Hercules had risen quite high by the time I put the 4.7 on M13+92 so things were rather nice.

I had a cracking night last night too, though had to drag myself away at around midnight due to work this morning. The sky was 'alive' with stars last night ... fabulous. Although I had the scope out, I spent as much time just gawping at the stars naked-eye than actually using it.

I also passed by M13 last night on my way to various fuzzies...I also made it to Draco....NGC 6454/9 and the pgc galaxy nearby was one of my highlights.

A bit tired now...too many clear nights.

Mark

44 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

I also passed by M13 last night on my way to various fuzzies...I also made it to Draco....NGC 6454/9 and the pgc galaxy nearby was one of my highlights.

A bit tired now...too many clear nights.

Mark

... too many clear nights!? :)

8 hours ago, Pig said:

Sounds fantastic John :happy6: I thought we might be in for good clear night and my intentions were to get some viewing in but unfortunately I fell asleep about 8 O'clock and as a result I missed it all !!!! I do need to buy myself a Dob.

told you piggy, said you need a dob :happy10:

12 hours ago, John said:

Lovely night here - best for ages for DSO's :icon_biggrin:

I've been using the 12" dob, cruising around Hercules, Bootes, Canes Venatici and Lyra picking off old favourites and a few new finds. 

Highlight of my night has been using the 4.7mm Ethos on the great Hercules globular clusters M13 and M92. These objects really fill the field of view at 338x and are resolved deep into their cores. They take on a 3-dimensional appearance hanging in space in front of your eye - like you could reach out and grab a handful of stars !. Absolutely wonderful views :grin:

sounds great john, i love the 5mm pentax looking at globs and the ring, but would love the 4.7 e. saying that havnt got my scope built yet so it wouldnt matter if i had one or not :happy10:

nice one john

3 hours ago, John said:

For globular clusters, aperture really does deliver :icon_biggrin:

It seems ages ago that I looked at it but I was stunned by the site of M13 with the 10mm Ethos and the Sumerian. I sort of got the approaching in a space ship feeling and several Yes songs came to mind.

At the moment no matter what aperture I have would do any good, still I hope my English friends are having a better time of things.

Archived