Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tips for creating light shields

Hi everyone 

Alteady started a bit if discussion on another thread and replies great so far, but thought this issue needed its own thread. 

Recently I've had a few sessions marred by neighbors having their own hobby of painting, and they have a very bright craft light/magnifying type light thing that floods my garden from their spare bedroom and can ruin night vision. 

So I am about to embark on a little DIY project and construct a light shield so any advise and pictures will be greatly appreciated?  

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, acey said:

Ask them to close their curtains.

Tried this and they said they would nut obviously they are forgetting ?. Also their bathroom light is on and off all evening so think the way forward is blocking it all out. 

can't quite see if you have a fence between you? I have the same issue with mine, in and out of the kitchen all night, so I got a wooden pole (cut in half) and some black coth, taped it up to make a shield. Then mounted 2 pipes (closed at the bottom) to the fence, the poles of the light shield then just slot into the pipes. Bit of prep work, but really quick and easy to set up. The cloth shield then just rolls back up at the end of the night. Job done :)

2 hours ago, Peco4321 said:

Tried this and they said they would nut obviously they are forgetting ?. Also their bathroom light is on and off all evening so think the way forward is blocking it all out. 

A fence or board would be an effective light block. Even more effective, perhaps, would be a large mirror aimed to reflect the offending light back at your neighbour's window. And if they keep getting up in the night to go to the loo then maybe they need to see a GP. Or drink less.

Screening as suggested by rocky star is the simple answer. I had to do this when new neighbours decided they had to have a security light on all night and a polite request by me to turn it off was rebuffed. I put the screens up one  day and the neighbours complained they could no longer see the local hills. I think you can guess what my answer to this was.

51 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Screening as suggested by rocky star is the simple answer. I had to do this when new neighbours decided they had to have a security light on all night and a polite request by me to turn it off was rebuffed. I put the screens up one  day and the neighbours complained they could no longer see the local hills. I think you can guess what my answer to this was.

Was it: Why do you need to see the hills at night time? or did they become a permanent fixture?

One option is to purchase a fishing umbrella and place it between youvandvthe light source, as they can be angled you can tilt for bestvresults. They also come with side skirts, This leaves a slit or gap to point the telescope through. You would have to rotate the umbrella to point to different part ofvthe sky.

Well I have the same as you and been working the best way out , as the light is high same as me I puting  laurel ever greens in  grow 16ins to 2ft a year and with make 4 m in no time , so my triming back once a year and you can all ways cut it down to the sizes later . make a nice  place for the birds to nest as will, keep a lot of wind out as it full out right down to ground.

I looking into Screening good on paper if its low lights on or to fill in a small bit will work . I look at puting a dome in down side is only good for imaging or you be for very move the roof round . I am trying something new out to night see if that works I put a 500w light down the garden and you work out were its going.  lol

The  lights are on again!  Put my scope out ages ago in the hope she'd notice it and remember to close the blinds, but no.  Will just have to make the best of a bad job. 

I trying to look at it as summer is well on it way and its not asrto dark till 11.30 so only getting just over 2 hours before its geting light again , try puting a cover over your head . I think you are a bit like me (its not the light stoping you its know the light is on that bug you.)

On 04/05/2016 at 14:08, rockystar said:

can't quite see if you have a fence between you? I have the same issue with mine, in and out of the kitchen all night, so I got a wooden pole (cut in half) and some black coth, taped it up to make a shield. Then mounted 2 pipes (closed at the bottom) to the fence, the poles of the light shield then just slot into the pipes. Bit of prep work, but really quick and easy to set up. The cloth shield then just rolls back up at the end of the night. Job done :)

I'm going to try this. My neighbor suddenly decided to put up a security light on a motion sensor and every time a cat goes past, my back garden, upstairs landing and bedroom light conversion experience a daylight moment (it's really annoying me and VERY unnecessary where I live).

• 1 month later...

Just had a bit of a eureka moment while trying to make a light shield from on old BBQ cover and two old extendable curtain poles, in the wind. I noticed our old sun parasol and thought "I wonder??"  

Hopefully give it a go tonight. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The parasol will probably just diffuse the light, not block it, without some additional sheeting?
Sometimes I use a Utility tent during Winter when the vegetation is off the trees ( the leaves block some of the light during the summer) but this still needs a black ground sheet, over the top to  make the tent ' really dark' inside.

You could  sit nearer to the  solid fence! that would provide a better screen, and avoid glancing towards any light source.

3 hours ago, Charic said:

The parasol will probably just diffuse the light, not block it, without some additional sheeting?
Sometimes I use a Utility tent during Winter when the vegetation is off the trees ( the leaves block some of the light during the summer) but this still needs a black ground sheet, over the top to  make the tent ' really dark' inside.

You could  sit nearer to the  solid fence! that would provide a better screen, and avoid glancing towards any light source.

It's got to be better than the light coming on and off all night. I can't go up to the fence due to other trees but I take the point about it just diffusing the light. Might try and old sheet draped over the parasol, at least I've got a structure of some sort to work on. 

• 4 months later...
On 04/05/2016 at 16:12, laudropb said:

It was when I was setting it up for the first time. I do take it down each night, but they were not to know that.

Are you sure it wasn't "oh, so that's why you've got that b***** security light blinding me, you are trying to light up the hills!"

Archived