Narrowband

Query over M 82 image .

Astrith

Alan,

Paul's software is designed to stack frames from different color channels, so multi spectral imaging can be done.  If you stop the exposure and move to a different object and restart the exposure without recycling the image, the next frame may stack on your last one.  Do you have a record of what image you had before M82?

Don

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, HiloDon said:

Alan,

Paul's software is designed to stack frames from different color channels, so multi spectral imaging can be done.  If you stop the exposure and move to a different object and restart the exposure without recycling the image, the next frame may stack on your last one.  Do you have a record of what image you had before M82?

Don

Hello Don....... I am 99% sure this was the image immediately prior to M 82 . Favourite part of the night sky at the moment . So a blurring of images seems to be the answer . ....Alan.

M81_2016.5.2_23.23.56.png

9 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Very nice detective work there......although I would have much rather seen a supernova discovery unfolding! :) Nice captures anyway.

I Wish Rob. regards....alan

4 hours ago, RobertI said:

Very nice detective work there......although I would have much rather seen a supernova discovery unfolding! :) Nice captures anyway.

Rob,

About two years ago, there was a supernova discovered in M82.  I believe it was some amateur astronomers in the UK.  Nytecam pointed it out and I was just getting into video astronomy.  Here are my attempts to get it with my SCB2000.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Don, thanks for posting that, very interesting to see. I do remember that one but for some reason I was not in a position to capture it for myself - probably still learning the ropes at the time (still am!).

16 hours ago, Astrith said:

I Wish

And we were all wishing for you as well !! A bit odd that a previous frame did not show up in the first of the new stack rather than lurking to pop up later !?

12 hours ago, HiloDon said:

some amateur astronomers in the UK.

If I am remembering the same one : A university lecturer (University College London) and his students, aborted a 'lecture at the telescope' because of bad weather, grabbed a moment of clear sky to demo the CCD camera and , , the rest was history :) !  I love it, classic UK wx and a good bit of serendipity.

Jan2014 :- http://www.ucl.ac.uk/mathematical-physical-sciences/news-events/maps-news-publication/maps1405/

46 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

And we were all wishing for you as well !! A bit odd that a previous frame did not show up in the first of the new stack rather than lurking to pop up later !?

If I am remembering the same one : A university lecturer (University College London) and his students, aborted a 'lecture at the telescope' because of bad weather, grabbed a moment of clear sky to demo the CCD camera and , , the rest was history :) !  I love it, classic UK wx and a good bit of serendipity.

Jan2014 :- http://www.ucl.ac.uk/mathematical-physical-sciences/news-events/maps-news-publication/maps1405/

I had to lay down with an ice pack on my forehead....... The excitement is too much at times !!

I remember this SN in 2014  - I actually captured it the night before it was reported - but did not notice anything unusual in the image :(

Here's a single exposure taken on the 19th Jan 2014 at 20:28 which shows the SN quite clearly (raw FIT file debayered in Nebulosity).

I guess many people must have done the same.

It was only afterwards when people started talking about the SN that I looked back through my files - I almost always store my sessions just in case now!

CS 

Paul

Image_2014.1.19_20.28.21_00031.jpg

Archived