Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Query over M 82 image .

Astrith

I took these two images of M 82 last night . I have marked an arrow where the R.O.I  i am wondering about. What is happening here  ?  ( if anything ) . I  am assuming the image has just developed a little further. Many thanks for reading. Alan.

M82_2016.5.2_23.25.48.png

M82_2016.5.2_23.29.59.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Astrith

I think you are right - improved signal to noise with the extra exposures. Did you adjust the levels or is everything the same for the two images other than the stacking of more data?

CS

Paul

Cheers Paul.

No levels adjusted .  Just learning to allow the camera do its own thing....minimal interference , from myself , when I can help it.  Hope your having clear skies in West Yorkshire !! Not bad in the East last night.

Hi, not an imager, but wouldn't also fluctuations in seeing cause differences in any images too? They are 4 minutes apart from each other, and there is also a difference in the stellar magnitudes seen in each picture too, so surely there will also be differences between areas in detail also of M82 itself here?

BTW: was out in my garden also last night observing both M82 & M81 visually which where very clear last night also. 

The first image seems to show something that I think isn't normally there, it also looks similar on the second image but less exposed.  Attached is an image that doesn't show the same object.  Could be an SN event but looks odd.  Maybe nytecam could have a look?

82.jpg

82-astrith.jpg

4 minutes ago, nightvision said:

The first image seems to show something that I think isn't normally there, it also looks similar on the second image but less exposed.  Attached is an image that doesn't show the same object.  Could be an SN event but looks odd.

82.jpg

Thanks for reply Tony.

Great to get the input here.  The above image is impressive . Alan.

These are the only two images and the frames automatically stack on the Lodestar X2 C CCD camera I used. The only detail I have is the information on the bottom of the images  . Still a relative beginner with this. Alan. 

Hi Astrith,

I think others here know more about this than I do, so should wait for them to chime in  ( these things usually have some non exciting explanation  )

But, possible things it could  be a Satellite, Minor Planet, Asteroid...   These would usually move over the few minutes you took the image.

Or Artifacts in your camera or reflection in your optical system

It doesn't appear to be moving, seems to be in same place in all the images.... including the stacked image

It doesn't look like an reflection, (not sure)

It doesn't look like it a a camera defect,   ( notice in the 11x30sec image how the stacker aligned the image on the stars, so the hot pixels form trails, any camara defects would trail out like the hot pixels )

It doesn't look like some kind of a double image, where a bright star from a previous image gets mixed into the stack,  I dont see other mysterious bright starlike objects dupicated in the image

I looked at others images from  April 24 , still not there

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/144516-astro-video-image-gallery/page-152?hl=%2Bm82#entry7179913

I guess just have to wait for others to chime in and see what they think

Howie

Hi Astrith does look like another supernova, it's there on both frames.

Did you save the raw fits files - SSL can do this for you but I'm not sure what the default setting is.

Paul

29 minutes ago, HowieL said:

Hi Astrith,

I think others here know more about this than I do, so should wait for them to chime in  ( these things usually have some non exciting explanation  )

But, possible things it could  be a Satellite, Minor Planet, Asteroid...   These would usually move over the few minutes you took the image.

Or Artifacts in your camera or reflection in your optical system

It doesn't appear to be moving, seems to be in same place in all the images.... including the stacked image

It doesn't look like an reflection, (not sure)

It doesn't look like it a a camera defect,   ( notice in the 11x30sec image how the stacker aligned the image on the stars, so the hot pixels form trails, any camara defects would trail out like the hot pixels )

It doesn't look like some kind of a double image, where a bright star from a previous image gets mixed into the stack,  I dont see other mysterious bright starlike objects dupicated in the image

I looked at others images from  April 24 , still not there

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/144516-astro-video-image-gallery/page-152?hl=%2Bm82#entry7179913

I guess just have to wait for others to chime in and see what they think

Howie

Many thanks HowieL........ very happy with your input . As you say there are many learned members on here......Will just wait for there input. Alan.

Hi Astrith,

woops.....   It does now look like something was superimposed, there are some other  extra stars, 

in the Upper left quarter of the image,  the double star near the center....

Very interesting ! I went through similar thoughts as Howie ! but also noted a very small faint star on Howie's near Astrith's candidate, had to do a blink superimposition and it is not quite aligned :(,  also noted the extra 'guest' stars :-

blinkAstrith.gif

53 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Very interesting ! I went through similar thoughts as Howie ! but also noted a very small faint star on Howie's near Astrith's candidate, had to do a blink superimposition and it is not quite aligned :(,  also noted the extra 'guest' stars :-

blinkAstrith.gif

Cheers Astro . I appreciate what you have done.  Seems a solution is drawing closer. Alan.

32 minutes ago, DoctorD said:

I guess we need to see a single exposure - can you post a FIT file if you have one?

Paul

I will try and sort a FIT file.....if I can sort it. Thanks for your help . Appreciated. Alan.

18 minutes ago, Astrith said:

I will try and sort a FIT file.....if I can sort it. Thanks for your help . Appreciated. Alan.

Alan,

You will only have single frame fits files if you activated the save fits button in Image capture.  The newest Starlight Live also can save the stacked fits file, but it also has to be manually activated.

Don

Cheers Don....... I thought I may have been on to something here  RE: images . I felt confident the good folk on here , would eventually provide an answer. Surprised though that a processing / stacking error is easily done .

Archived