Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Mikea

EQ5 Pro Head on a Celestron Tripod?

I have an EQ5 pro mount and tripod. I also have a Celestron CPC800 GPS. The Celestron tripod is much more sturdy than the Skywatcher, although the Skywatcher is certainly up to the job. I just wondered if anyone had ever mounted an EQ5 Pro head on a Celestron CPC style tripod?

Hi Mikea,

I have an EQ5 pro mount (now motorised and destined for a home-made short transportable pier) and I have a CPC tripod under a 9.25" Evolution mount. Could I graft the EQ5 onto the CPC tripod? Probably, but not without a bit of engineering. My CPC tripod has a location peg for the mount which would get in the way of the EQ5 main fixing bolt thingy. If I ever decided to graft the two together, I would remove the legs from the EQ5 tripod and replace them with blocks or brackets with threaded holes which line up with the three CPC tripod mount hand screws, and replace the EQ5 fixing bolt thingy with a short bolt/spring and plain washer Loctited into the mount to allow adjustment for polar alignment. Talk to Andy Strange about it... Or I could do you a sketch. You've got me thinking now.

It's Bank Holiday Monday - sorry about making you think - it's not allowed on holidays!! I just wondered if anyone had ever done it. How do you know Andy?

Mike - have you seen these: http://www.altairastro.com/pier-adapter-skywatcher-celestron-ioptron-multi-mount.html

If you can find a way to fix that on your CPC tripod then I think you'd be in business. I'm currently trying to find out how to fix mine to an EQ6 tripod (a similar exercise) - but now you've given me the idea I might mod it for my CPC tripod too. :)

Ah -  no, I hadn't seen that before! I want a pier now!!:crybaby2:

• Like 1

Hi Mike

I used to sit next to Andy in a past life. Adapting the altair astro adaptor would work. Perhaps by screwing the adaptor to a thick alloy plate, and screw into the plate from underneath with the CPC fixing screws. 

Or, build a pier and and erect an observatory around it. You know you want to!

• Like 1