Sketches

Spot the Mistake

baldeliftman

2 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The mistake would have been not to be able to switch the light off once they are inside, presumably the designer of the observatory will have thought of that.

The light might not have been there, when  the obsey  was built. U no what some of these councils are like :angry5:. All hi vis , & regulations . :happy9:

2 minutes ago, Beulah said:

57271b2c9bc44_IMAG0002260057.thumb.jpg.jpg

...or it could be a bottle bank disguised as an observatory? :D

Now that would set a precedent. Then every one with an observatory would have to look out for vehicles drawing up ,and the sound of glass breaking!  Ouch. :evil4:

• Like 1

Within view,,  depending how far you look about 11, plus a 5 story college block that often leave the room lights on all, night for the cleaners. Then the local school and their sports lights to the west...........

I gave up!

Derek

From what ive read this is a school astronomy club who have installed the scope in the past couple of years with a 60 year old 12inch scope in the dome. Despite the light being a potential problem I would give them all the credit in the world for having the ambition to make this sort of facility available to to their pupils, and showing what can be done on a limited budget. So im going to applaud them . Cheers

• Like 2

I never noticed the light I was looking at the lock on the gate, the light itself is inside the obs fenced area so I would assume there may be an override although the lamppost has a camera mounted too so perhaps its left on.

Alan

C ) It is a cunning plan by the observatory owner : he has got wind of the council's intention to include the village in its lighting upgrade plans and has installed his own dummy lamp post. So, the sub-contractor turns up, scratches his head, mutters expletives about the incompetence of the office staff in double booking him and goes away taking the real council lamp with him, , ,

• Like 3

As it appears to be partt of a school, then if the light is within the fenced off area I suspect it is there to enable safe access to the observatory by the pupils. So would then expect that it can be switched off from inside once people are inside. The way regulations go these days it is likely a requirement (to cover their backsides).

Even  if it is not they at least have an observatory that they can use and are encouraging astronomy. I don't actually know of any with their own observatory so they are one up on the vast majority of places in that respect. The alternative would seem to be to pull it down, sell the equipment and do none at all.

• Like 1