Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to EAA/Video Astronomy

gunfighter48

I  bought a Revolution Imager setup last month but haven't been able to get it out and use it. Clouds and rain for the last month, typical weather for the Western Washington area!!  From the YouTube videos it looks like just what I need. I live in a red zone and it look like it will be a real help to see the fainter DSOs. Some of the people are getting surprisingly good images. I've been in and out of astronomy 3 times. I just got back into it about 4 years ago. Having a blast. Been a CN member for years. Have visited this site on and off and just signed up tonight. Looks like a great site!!

Hi

Welcome to SGL and the Video Astronomy section - I've not seen the Revolution Imager before but it looks similar to the LN300 cameras some of the people on here use and have had good results from. I still have my SDC435 camera and use it from time to time - It's nice not to have to rely on a PC sometimes, especially when camping.

What scope and mount do you have - it will be good to see what results you acheive.

CS

Paul

21 minutes ago, DoctorD said:

Hi

Welcome to SGL and the Video Astronomy section - I've not seen the Revolution Imager before but it looks similar to the LN300 cameras some of the people on here use and have had good results from. I still have my SDC435 camera and use it from time to time - It's nice not to have to rely on a PC sometimes, especially when camping.

What scope and mount do you have - it will be good to see what results you acheive.

CS

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have a Meade LS8 ACF, Celestron C9.25, ES 102 APO, ES AR152, and my latest acquisition is a TS 130mm F/7 APO refractor with the 3.7" focuser. I have a Orion Skyview Pro Goto mount, a Celestron CGEM mount, and a new iOptron 45 Pro Goto EQ mount. The new TS 130mm will replace the ES AR152. Don't have room to store all the scopes so the AR152 will have to go. But I really like the scope, has given me so great views!!

55 minutes ago, gunfighter48 said:

I  bought a Revolution Imager setup last month but haven't been able to get it out and use it. Clouds and rain for the last month, typical weather for the Western Washington area!!  From the YouTube videos it looks like just what I need. I live in a red zone and it look like it will be a real help to see the fainter DSOs. Some of the people are getting surprisingly good images. I've been in and out of astronomy 3 times. I just got back into it about 4 years ago. Having a blast. Been a CN member for years. Have visited this site on and off and just signed up tonight. Looks like a great site!!

Looking forward to seeing some captures from your "stable" of telescopes. I hope you get a clear night soon.

That's quite a selection of scopes - it will be good to see how the Revolution Imager performs at the various focal lengths and focal ratios.

My experience with the SDC435 is that I needed about F4 to get results with the maximum 10s integration time.

You have a good selection of focal lengths that should enable you to frame many objects and the Alt-AZ mount will be fine at 30s or less exposure time. 

Although you should be aware that some of the noise reduction features effectively extend the exposure further making field rotation an issue (with the SC435 at least) so it might be worth trying your EQ mounts as well - plenty to play with!

CS

Paul

9 hours ago, gunfighter48 said:

Sounds like the West Washington weather is similar to the West Yorkshire area lol

hi paul,you are correct the revolution imager is the ln300,it is a full package put together from mike at oc telescopes,this ln300 has the new chipset,,,oc telescopes have now sold out of this kit ,its been a good introduction set for new video astronomers to get into the hobby,,,ken dragonman,,snakevalley oz is a tester for these and has tutorials/review videos on utube,no doubt this is the videos you speak of gunslinger,,davy

Hi Davy,

I have read the same thing about the Revolution being sold out.  I have also heard that the LN300 is no longer being produced.  Can you or anyone else verify this?

Don

4 hours ago, HiloDon said:

I have read the same thing about the Revolution being sold out.  I have also heard that the LN300 is no longer being produced.  Can you or anyone else verify this?

Don

I read at several places that the Chinese manufacturer discontinued the production of the LN300 camera that was the basis of the Revolution Imager package. It is no longer available from the usual sources. The OPT store says "discontinued" the Revolution web sore says "Sold out". The fact that manufacturers are abandoning the long exposure analog video security camera market was one of the developments that prompted the CN discussion about analog video astronomy becoming an endangered species.

The OP was lucky to get one of the last ones. It was a good and moderately priced starter camera. Hopefully gunfighter48 is using the very nice weather and clear skies in the Seattle area to enjoy his new camera.

Clear Skies!  --Dom

Yip ken ,dragonman confirmed this is now discontinued by manufacturer,,ken is looking to see if the internals are being fitted to another manufacturers cameras,as this was an upgrade to previous ln300 model.may still be some kicking about yet... was a good price as well,, I see the samsung scb prices climbing as well on ebay,,,looks like for video astronomy usb cams are way to go for new video astronomers

I personally believe that there is still a place for analogue video cameras,the cams to look out for is the starvis series,,these are in some of the usb astronomy cams as well.

Archived