SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cameras Unsupported By newer OS. Read this it will fix you right up

Gutross

If you have an older camera with out live view, and the drivers are not supported on newer Operating Systems

this will be a real game changer 

First I have a Canon 350D/XT DSLR. These cameras can be controlled completely by computer, If and only if you have a Win XP 32 bit computer to control it. 
I first toyed with the idea of doing a Dual Boot drive Win7/XP. but it would require me to
-make a partition
-enter BIOS and set the HDD to IDE or compatable
-install XP
-reboot
-finilize XP
-Set bios back to SATA
-boot into windows 7
-run VistaBoot( or another MBR repairer )
-Reboot
-see the boot menu
( now at this point the computer will blue screen every time you try and run XP )
-set bios back to IDE when you want XP
-Set bios back to SATA when you want to use Win 7

This is a total pain in the ass, and i read from several forums it taking some people upwards of 10 hours to get it right.
I tell my Friend Kenny Casey about this and he asks, " What about a VM"
Mind you this is the very first time ive heard the term.
He tells me what it is.

I find a completely free VM
-install
-download Daemon tools
-mount the xp iso
-start the VM
-Install XP
DONE!
In 25 Minutes to BOOT
So i Install the Canon Utility suite
hook up my camera
BAM!!
a control window pops up right away!

Now i can 
-activate the shutter
-change any and all settings
-view the picture immediately after taking the shot

Now i had issues accessing the pictures on the VM.
so i try and mount it as a drive in Daemon tools!
Yup thats the ticket.

the best thing about this is, I dont need a serial cable that costs an arm and a leg to get communication.  I just used the usb cable that came with the camera!

22 minutes ago, PBS said:

IIRC the 350D/XT doesn't support bulb exposures over USB... So if you are planning exposures longer than 30s then you might still need that pesky serial shutter cable...

Peter...

luckily i dont have to worry about that right yet, my current telescope wont support more than a 5 second exposure!  but thats good to know  thank you

The 350D was my first "dedicated"  astro DSLR  I did a full spectrum mod on it (filter removal)...

For your 5s exposures you should be able to use the timer mode in Eos utils  to grab a sequence of images .. that's how I started with it...

The serial shutter cables are pretty easy to make if you know which end of a soldering iron gets hot...

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/CanonRelease.html

There are some of my early pics with the 350D on here...

https://picasaweb.google.com/PsychoBillyUK/AstrophotograhyMainlyCPC800AndMegrez72

Peter...

2 minutes ago, PBS said:

The 350D was my first "dedicated"  astro DSLR  I did a full spectrum mod on it (filter removal)...

For your 5s exposures you should be able to use the timer mode in Eos utils  to grab a sequence of images .. that's how I started with it...

The serial shutter cables are pretty easy to make if you know which end of a soldering iron gets hot...

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr/CanonRelease.html

Peter...

thanks ill look into that, yea i was excited when i tested the "time lapse" feature to do a set of images in the house. great potential for really helping me get focus. and for taking a series of images

i like that i can take an image and adjust any setting untill i get what im looking for. i will definatly be keeping notes for sure on what settings to use for various targets. 

stoked for the first clear night that i dont have to work the next day

There used to be an a program called DSLR focus that I used to use.. it would take looped exposures and analyze the image ...  A Bhatinov or Y mask makes critical focusing a lot easier...

Some of the brighter targets will work well with lots of 5 second exposures...

Image upload over USB 1.1 is guite slow.. so once you have got focus / framing sorted you might want to capture just to the card... But checking the images on a monitor screen is much easier than the tiny screen on the back of the 350D...

The relatively low MP count of the 350D means quite large pixels which can be a good thing...

I hadn't looked at my 350D images for a few years but was pleasantly surprised looking at them again just now...

Modifying the 350D needs a bit of de-soldering and re-soldering - there a metal screen over the back of the imaging unit that's solderd to the pcb the HA response is greatly improved if you do it...

Peter...

13 minutes ago, PBS said:

ive been toying with the idea, but the canon is a daily shooter for me now, once i get another to replace it i plan to cool it and mod it

19 minutes ago, PBS said:

There used to be an a program called DSLR focus that I used to use.. it would take looped exposures and analyze the image ...  A Bhatinov or Y mask makes critical focusing a lot easier..

its a shame there is no trial version of DSLR focus, I do like to know if something will work for me before investing even a nominal about.

I did make a mask the other day as well, so im ready to play with that as well. Boy who thought using an exacto blade would hurt your hands .  soo many tiny pieces cut out

Archived