Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barlows for a 200mm dobsonian

colin2007

Hi, I just did a search and didn't  come up with anything on this topic so if it is a repeat topic then I do apologise

I have a 200p skyliner f/6 dobsonian and I was wondering if anybody has got any recommendations of a suitable barlow for this scope. My price range is up to £50.

My main stuff I look at is planetary and double stars. The eyepiece`s that I have got are 25mm, 10mm and a 8mm BST explorer.

If anybody has any ideas then I would much appreciate it. 

A good 2X Barlow (I don't recommend higher) can allow you to spend a bit more on eyepieces.

For instance, with your dob, a 24mm, 12mm, and 8mm eyepiece can cover the bases.  tt a 2X Barlow and you have a 6mm and 4mm for when you need them,

And a 24/12/8/6/4mm set covers just about every magnification you'll likely need, from 50x to 300x. 

While I usually support getting lower-priced material for folks on a budget - rather then top-tier goods like TeleVue® - in the case for Barlows I make an exception. A Barlow will magnify not only the object in your eyepiece, it will also magnify any imperfections in the optical-pathway of your telescope/eyepiece, and the Barlow itself. So a Barlow should not throw any imperfections into the mix itself. So: TeleVue® is my first choice & suggestion.

The cost of the TV Barlows - either 2X or 3X - isn't really much more than other top-of-the-line Barlows available in our Universe. And it would be the last Barlow you'd ever buy - no more shopping-around need be considered.

That's my 2¢ for Barlows,

Dave

I would try and get one where you can unscrew the front element. Not only will you get the normal mags, you will be able to screw them into your eyepieces, for another set of 3 different  mags.It would also be useful for solar system imaging, if you ever go that route. You can also get other mags by putting different size extenders in between.

2 hours ago, SkyGibbon said:

I would try and get one where you can unscrew the front element. Not only will you get the normal mags, you will be able to screw them into your eyepieces, for another set of 3 different  mags.It would also be useful for solar system imaging, if you ever go that route. You can also get other mags by putting different size extenders in between.

This does work well indeed. And while the TeleVue's do unscrew the lens from the body, the threading is proprietary and will only screw back into the TV Barlow-tube! I guess they're onto that trick down at TV-Land.

For this I bought a cheaper GSO 2X from where it was cheapest that day. Works great. Gives around 1.5X or 1.6X in most EP's.

Dave

Archived